How Do You Estimate Logarithms Using Basic Logarithmic Properties?

• Thread starter k3r0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary, the task is to estimate the values of log(4), log(5), log(6), and log(8) given that log(2) is approximately 0.30 and log(∏) is approximately 0.5. Using the properties of logarithms, log(4) and log(8) can be found by adding log(2) to itself, while log(6) can be estimated by adding log(2) to log(∏). To find log(5), linear interpolation can be used by averaging the values of log(4) and log(6). Another way to find log(5) is by using the value of log(10) and subtracting log(
k3r0

Homework Statement

Given that log(2) is roughly 0.30 and log(∏) is roughly 0.5, estimate the values of log(4), log(5), log(6) and log(8).

Homework Equations

log(ab)=log(a)+log(b)
log(a/b)=log(a)-log(b)
log(a^n)=nlog(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found log(4) and log(8) using log(2)+log(2) [+log(2)], and i estimated log(6) using log(2)+log(∏), but i don't know how to get to log(5).

Physics news on Phys.org
hi k3r0! :smile:

hint: log(125) ? :wink:

My guess, assuming there isn't a mistake in the problem statement, is that they want you to use linear interpolation. log(5) ≈ (1/2)(log(4) + log(6)). This would be the average (or mean) of the two log values.

Mark44 said:
My guess, assuming there isn't a mistake in the problem statement, is that they want you to use linear interpolation. log(5) ≈ (1/2)(log(4) + log(6)). This would be the average (or mean) of the two log values.

Thanks a lot, that method never crossed my mind. I spent about half an hour being irritated at that question, haha.

Thanks!

another hint: what is [itex]\pi^2[/itex] equal to?

Likes 1 person
log(5)=log(10)-log(2) = 1 - log(2) = 0.7

1. What is the value of log(4)?

The value of log(4) is approximately 0.60206.

2. How do you estimate the value of log(4)?

To estimate the value of log(4), you can use the common logarithm table or a scientific calculator. You can also use the rules of logarithms to simplify and approximate the value.

3. Why is estimating the value of log(4) important?

Estimating the value of log(4) is important in many fields of science and mathematics, such as in solving logarithmic equations, calculating exponential growth and decay, and in data analysis and modeling.

4. Can you explain how to estimate the value of log(4) using the rules of logarithms?

Yes, using the rule log(ab) = log(a) + log(b), we can rewrite log(4) as log(2*2). Since log(2) = 0.30103, we can estimate log(4) as 0.30103 + 0.30103 = 0.60206.

5. Are there any other ways to estimate the value of log(4)?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the natural logarithm (ln) or using a graphing calculator to plot the logarithmic function and estimate the value at x=4. However, using the common logarithm is the most common and efficient way to estimate the value of log(4).