Estimate Water Usage for Local Town of 30000

In summary, an average family of four uses roughly 1600 liters of water per day. If this water was uniformly supplied to a town of 30000 people, the lake would lose depth by 1.95E7 m per year.
PhysicsCCR

Homework Statement

An average family of four uses roughly 1600 liters of water per day. How much depth would a lake lose per year if it uniformly covered an area of 90 square kilometers and supplied a local town with a population of 30000 people? Consider only population uses, and neglect evaporation and so on.

I don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
how much water does the town use per day?
relate the volume of the lake to it's area and depthcontext ... longest dry spell is 90 days where I live, during that time I have 6000gal ~22700L ... a top-up costs NZ$150 for 1200gal to be trucked in, so water conservation is a big deal here. Two of us would use almost all of the 6000gal in that 90 days.

That makes it 130Lpp per day or about 500L per day for four adults. So, to me, 400Lpp-pd is a shocking waste.

IIRC: The Apollo missions carried less than 100L of water for 3 adults for 12days (Apollo 17).
But they didn't take showers, wash clothes, flush toilets, or water lawns.

Last edited:
Here's what I did. I converted 1600 liters t cm^3 and then converted that to m^3, and got 1.6E8 m^3. Then, I multiplied that with the population of 30000 and 365 (days in a year). Then I converted 90 km^2 into m^2 and got 9E7 m^2. To calculate depth, I divided volume over area and got 1.95E7 m. I entered this into the computer, and it was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

PhysicsCCR said:

Homework Statement

An average family of four uses roughly 1600 liters of water per day. How much depth would a lake lose per year if it uniformly covered an area of 90 square kilometers and supplied a local town with a population of 30000 people? Consider only population uses, and neglect evaporation and so on.

I don't even know where to begin.

How many litres of water does the town use each day [hint: how many "families of for" make up 30000 people]

How many litres per year does that make [hint: there are 365 days per year - or 366 this year]

How many cubic metres does that make? ... and so on

PhysicsCCR said:
Here's what I did. I converted 1600 liters t cm^3 and then converted that to m^3, and got 1.6E8 m^3. Then, I multiplied that with the population of 30000 and 365 (days in a year). Then I converted 90 km^2 into m^2 and got 9E7 m^2. To calculate depth, I divided volume over area and got 1.95E7 m. I entered this into the computer, and it was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Th population in 30000, but the consumption figure was per 4 people

[Delete]

Last edited:
PeterO said:
Th population in 30000, but the consumption figure was per 4 people
So do I divide 30000 by 4?

PhysicsCCR said:
So do I divide 30000 by 4?

You seem to have calculated a figure 4 times too big [I have not checked any of your arithmetic] so you need to divide by 4 at some stage.
Given that you have done all the work, perhaps you could just divide your final answer by 4 and check that it is correct.

PhysicsCCR said:
Here's what I did. I converted 1600 liters t cm^3 and then converted that to m^3, and got 1.6E8 m^3.
Does this seem real to you?
1liter is a cubic decimeter: a cube 10cm on each side.
so 10x10x10=1000 of them fit in a cubic meter.
so 1600L = 1.6m3
Then, I multiplied that with the population of 30000 and 365 (days in a year).
But the 1600L/day figure was for how many people?
Then I converted 90 km^2 into m^2 and got 9E7 m^2. To calculate depth, I divided volume over area and got 1.95E7 m.
That's 19500km ... which is greater than the diameter of the Earth! (12800km) - That's some lake!
No wonder the climates in trouble with Americans using up water like that ;) that rate lowers all the Earths oceans by 5m. Think of the erosion!
I entered this into the computer, and it was incorrect. What did I do wrong?
see above.

Last edited:
PeterO said:
How many litres of water does the town use each day [hint: how many "families of for" make up 30000 people]

How many litres per year does that make [hint: there are 365 days per year - or 366 this year]

How many cubic metres does that make? ... and so on
Oh, I think I get it.

PhysicsCCR said:
Oh, I think I get it.

Don't overlook the problems "Simon Bridge" pointed out.

Thanks to you, too, Simon!

PeterO said:
You seem to have calculated a figure 4 times too big [I have not checked any of your arithmetic] so you need to divide by 4 at some stage.
Given that you have done all the work, perhaps you could just divide your final answer by 4 and check that it is correct.
His final answer is bigger than the diameter of the Earth, dividing by four puts the lake bottom in the mantle. Steamy :)
This is terribly unprofessional of me - I shouldn't really laugh but the image of drilling a hole through the Earth to supply a town with water just grabbed hold of me.

The amount the lake actually lowers is still pretty shocking though... you'd notice it.
You can see how a town can quickly run dry in a drought.

I think the important, take-away, lesson here is about reality-checking your numbers.

IRL you are bombarded with statistics and asked to worry or not worry about them ... you need to be able to figure out how these numbers are important and in what way in order to know what they actually mean.

Automatically asking these questions is part of being a scientist.

Last edited:
lol I messed up my arithmetic. Thanks for pointing that out, Simon. It is 1.6 m^3. I accidentally multiply instead of divide.

Lmao! It's all good, man. I see what I did wrong there.

Finally got the right answer, which is 4.87E-2 m. Thanks for your help!

about 5cm per annum if nothing is done.

part of what obscures these figures from reality-checks is leaving them in calculator notation. 4.87E-2 doesn't resonate with your intuition the way 4.87cm does. That's about 2-3 fingers.

get used to comparing figures to things aye.

Well, in real life, of course, I'll say 4.87 cm, or about 5 cm. But since the online physics homework system uses scientific notation, I thought I might just stick with that.

Yeah I realized - it is one of the problems with these computer-based learning systems.
You should not let the machine tell you what units etc to use - use what you are comfy with then convert into something the machine understands at the end.

1.95e7m does not parse as well as 19500km ... I suspect you'd have been more intuitively worried about the second form. It's also good for when you ask for help - since you are talking to humans here :) or when you are answering written exam papers.

If you find yourself doing things for the benefit of a machine you are doing it wrong.
The machine is there for your benefit, not the other way around.

Above all - have fun.
Cheers.

Simon Bridge said:
Yeah I realized - it is one of the problems with these computer-based learning systems.
You should not let the machine tell you what units etc to use - use what you are comfy with then convert into something the machine understands at the end.

1.95e7m does not parse as well as 19500km ... I suspect you'd have been more intuitively worried about the second form. It's also good for when you ask for help - since you are talking to humans here :) or when you are answering written exam papers.

If you find yourself doing things for the benefit of a machine you are doing it wrong.
The machine is there for your benefit, not the other way around.

Above all - have fun.
Cheers.

Interesting to note than an answer like 1.95e7 is instantly marked wrong in exams/test in my state [of Australia]. It is a rubbish value. Number values do not have an e in them.
Converted to 1.95 x 107 it would be looked at - and then marked wrong; but only because it is the wrong value.
Some calculators present that answer as 1.957 - and that is wrong too.

Gudduy from across the Tasman ;)
It's just notation that is easy for machines...

1.95 x 107 has an "x" in it :P and no units [itex]1.95\times10^7\text{m}[/itex] is better typesetting aye?

technically, "e" is the exponential number, so [itex]1.95e7 = 1.95 \times e \times 7 = 37.1045469584660[/itex]
... which is to say: still wrong. Like you said.

I tell you, this machine learning is a disease!

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Gudduy from across the Tasman ;)
It's just notation that is easy for machines...

1.95 x 107 has an "x" in it :P and no units [itex]1.95\times10^7\text{m}[/itex] is better typesetting aye?

technically, "e" is the exponential number, so [itex]1.95e7 = 1.95 \times e \times 7 = 37.1045469584660[/itex]
... which is to say: still wrong. Like you said.

I tell you, this machine learning is a disease!

We all know what the e means on a calculator, and the importance of units, it is just that most answers copied down from a calculator will be wrong - either too many or too few figures, or including the "calculator speak" e. Copying such an expression from a calculator does not bring with it any suggestion of understanding and as such earns no marks.

Which is why you get better graduates if humans set and mark the papers.

I agree with what you're saying. I much prefer using standard notation, rather than scientific notation. And I agree with what you said about machines benefiting us, not the other way around. I used to always submit my answers in standard notation, but the homework system always convert it to scientific notation, regardless how big or small the number is. Nonetheless, on written exams, I would use standard notation, unless maybe if there are so many zeros.

1. How is water usage estimated for a local town?

Water usage for a local town is estimated by gathering data from water meters, analyzing historical usage trends, and considering factors such as population growth and climate conditions. This data is then used to create a model that can accurately predict water usage for the town.

2. What factors affect the estimated water usage for a local town?

Factors such as population size, climate conditions, and water conservation efforts can affect the estimated water usage for a local town. Other factors like industrial and agricultural activities, as well as the efficiency of water distribution systems, can also play a role in water usage estimates.

3. How accurate are the estimates for water usage in a local town?

The accuracy of water usage estimates for a local town depends on the quality of the data used to create the model. Generally, the more data available, the more accurate the estimates will be. However, unexpected events like droughts or changes in population can also impact the accuracy of the estimates.

4. How often are water usage estimates updated for a local town?

Water usage estimates for a local town are typically updated on a regular basis, such as annually or every few years. This allows for any changes in population or other factors to be accounted for in the estimates. However, estimates may also be updated more frequently if there are significant changes in water usage patterns or other factors.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating water usage for a local town?

While water usage estimates for a local town can be helpful in planning for future water needs, there are some limitations. For example, unexpected events like natural disasters or changes in water usage habits can impact the accuracy of the estimates. Additionally, estimates may not take into account any changes in water infrastructure or technology that could affect water usage in the future.