Estimating ln n and Proving its Limit as n Approaches Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best possible upper and lower estimates for ln n, where n is a positive integer, using the definition of ln x as the integral of dx/x. The conversation also mentions using this result to show that the limit of the function as n approaches infinity is infinity. The suggested approach is to use upper and lower rectangular approximating sums.
kimberu

Homework Statement

using the following definition: ln x = [tex]\int dx/x[/tex], give best possible upper and lower estimates of ln n, n a positive integer.

then, use this result to show that the limit of the function as n approaches infinity is infinity.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I have no idea what to attempt -- I don't know how to find estimates, and I'm not really sure what that means -- this is for a history of math class so I have no textbook context to look though either. Any explanations/tips would be very helpful, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably mean to define

[tex]\ln{(x)} = \int_1^x\, \frac 1 t\, dt[/tex]

Try looking at upper and lower rectangular approximating sums.

1. What is the natural log?

The natural log, or ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is used to find the power that a base number must be raised to in order to equal a given number.

2. How is the natural log calculated?

The natural log is calculated by taking the logarithm of a number using the base of the mathematical constant e, which is approximately 2.71828. This can be done using a calculator or by using logarithm tables.

3. Why is the natural log useful in science?

The natural log is useful in science because it helps to simplify complex mathematical equations and make them easier to solve. It is also used to analyze data and make predictions in fields such as biology, physics, and economics.

4. Can a natural log be negative?

Yes, a natural log can be negative. When the input number is between 0 and 1, the natural log will be negative. This is because the power that e must be raised to in order to equal the input number is a negative number.

5. What are some real-life applications of the natural log?

The natural log has many real-life applications, such as calculating population growth, analyzing financial data, and measuring the rate of decay of radioactive substances. It is also used in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and statistics.