1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating change (PDE)

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the Celsius temperature at the point (x, y) in the xy plane is T(x,y) = xsin(2y)
    and that the distance in the xy plane is measured in meters. A particle moving clockwise around the circle of radius 1m centered at the origin at the constant rate of 2 m/s

a. how fast is the temperature experienced by the particle changing in degrees C per meter at the point P(1/2 , (sqrt[3])/2) ?

b. how fast is the temperature expereinced by the particle changing in degrees C per second at P?

2. Relevant equations
    T(x,y) = xsin(2y)

P(1/2 , (sqrt[3])/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

i can do all the other estimating change problems where it gives me a function, 2 points, and ds = some constant just fine. but when i look at this i get kind of lost. i see the solution starts out by finding u in the direction of motion but im not really sure how to find what i need out of this problem. I would appreciate any insight or a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks so much!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    can someone just point me in the direction of finding the unit tangent vector in the direction of motion please? i don't need a entire solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook