1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating cost due to power

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small city requires about 19 MW of power. Suppose that instead of using high-voltage lines to supply the power, the power is delivered at 120 V .

Assuming a two-wire line of 0.60cm -diameter copper wire, estimate the cost of the energy lost to heat per hour per meter. Assume the cost of electricity is about 8.5 cents/kWh.
    Cost = $ per hour per meter

2. Relevant equations

P=IV
    P=I^2*R
    R=(rhoe*L)/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I used P=IV to find the current (converting 19 MW to 19*10^3 to keep it in kW for the answer) and found I=158 A .. then when I go to find the resistance I figure to use pi*r^2 as area than multiply the whole thing by two for the two wires but I do not understand what to use for L because they provide no length after i find R i intend to plug it into the equation P=I^2*R .. i am so lost!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since they want cost per meter, you really just need R/L and P/L.

p.s. welcome to PF.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    thanks but i do not understand what you are saying sorry :(

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, let's back up a little.

From your 1st post, you said you tried to calculate R, but need L in order to do that. What equation for R are you using, that has an L in it?

6. Apr 11, 2009 #5
    ohhh yeah thats what my problem is i am not given L .. i am trying to use R=(rho(resistivity)*L)/A

7. Apr 11, 2009 #6
    L being the length of the wire and A being the cross sectional area of the wire

8. Apr 11, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.

Since you need to calculate power and cost per meter, use L=1m.

9. Apr 11, 2009 #8
    okay so then i use l=1 to find the resistance and i take the current that i found usuing p=iv and plug both into P=I^2R .. once i find that P how do i incorporate finding time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook