Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating power required to get heat exchanger up to temperature

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am working on a fuel delivery system with multiple heat exchangers, piping, etc. I am trying to determine how much power I will need to heat up the gas in the system at the inlet so that all of the components of my system will reach the operating temperatures. For example, I am looking at using a heater near a pipe to warm and incoming airflow that will then be sent to the rest of the system. What I need to figure out is what the q value of that air will need to be to get the rest of the system up to temperature.

I started with a lumped transient conduction model and used the weights of each heat exchanger, howeever we are looking for something more accurate. I'm thinking something like a transient heat exchanger analysis but am having trouble figuring out exactly how to do this.

I know what the design temperature and flows are at each point in the system and have calculated the Q value of the hot and cold streams at each point. How do I get from having the air Q values to determining how much time it will take for a certain mass of heat exchanger to reach it's operating temperature, and then tie that into a total power needed to heat the initial air stream.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook