Estimating Problem: Water Drops in Oceans

• Thread starter rleung3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about estimating the number of drops of water in all the oceans on earth within an order of magnitude. Different approaches are suggested, including using the average depth of the ocean, the percentage of the earth's surface covered by oceans, and the radius of the earth. The conversation also mentions difficulties with finding the correct answer and confusion about the use of scientific notation.
rleung3
Hi,

I know this question sounds so simple, but I can't figure out how to solve it. The question is the following: Within an order of magnitude, how many drops of water are in all the oceans on earth? (Take an average depth of the ocean about 10 km. Assume that contains 25 drops of water.)

Without knowing the volume of all the oceans in the world, I don't see how I can come up with an answer that is within an order of magnitude. My approach would be to multiple 25 drops/cm^3 by the volume of the oceans (in cm^3). I went online to look up the actual volume, but the answer turns out incorrect (the online program I am using doesn't tell me the correct answer, but it tells me when I am NOT ocrrect).

I also tried to take (25 drops/cm^3) ^ (1/3) to finds the drops^(1/3) per cm, after which I multiplied that figure by the depth of the ocean (in cm) to get the drops^(1/3), and then cubing that to gets the number of drops. That answer also turned out incorrectly.

Is there any other direction I should take? Thanks so much! :)

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're given an average depth of 10 km you could try using the fact
that the oceans cover about 71% of the surface of the earth. The radius varies from 6.378 E6 m at the equator to 6.356 E6 m at the poles. Also, the radius of a sphere of a sphere with the same volume = 6.371 E6 m.

You do know the radius of the earth, don't you ? What's the curved surface area for a sphere like the Earth (app.) in terms of r ? Oceans cover 3/4 th of the earth' crust (app.)
Multiply area with depth gives you ...

Hmmm...I tried it your way, but I don't seem to get the right answer. It says here that the answer does not have anything to do with scientific notation? I don't see how that is right...

1. How many water drops are estimated to be in the world's oceans?

According to current estimates, there are approximately 1.3 quintillion (1.3 x 10^18) water drops in the world's oceans. This number is constantly changing due to the natural cycles of evaporation and precipitation.

2. How is the number of water drops in the oceans estimated?

The number of water drops in the oceans is estimated by using mathematical models and data from various sources such as satellite measurements, ocean currents, and weather patterns. These models take into account factors such as the volume of the oceans, average droplet size, and the rate of evaporation and precipitation.

3. Can the number of water drops in the oceans be accurately determined?

While the estimated number of water drops in the oceans is considered to be reliable, it is not possible to accurately determine the exact number. This is due to the constantly changing nature of the oceans and the limitations of our current technology and understanding of the complex systems that govern them.

4. How do water drops in the oceans affect the Earth's climate?

Water drops in the oceans play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate. They absorb and release heat, which helps to regulate the planet's temperature. They also contribute to the global water cycle, which affects weather patterns and precipitation around the world.

5. Are there any potential problems with estimating the number of water drops in the oceans?

One potential problem with estimating the number of water drops in the oceans is that it does not take into account the varying sizes and shapes of water droplets. This can affect the accuracy of the estimate, as well as the impact of water drops on the Earth's climate. Additionally, as the world's oceans continue to change due to human activity and natural processes, the estimated number of water drops may become less accurate over time.