1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating Resistance

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    "Estimating" Resistance

Hi,

So, suppose I have a bulb labelled 10 V, 12 W. This is connected to a 4 V e.m.f battery. Can I calculate the Resistance from 10 V, 12 W (Using P = VI and R = V/I) and assume that it is the resistance when it connected to a 4V battery?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
    Re: "Estimating" Resistance

Generally speaking, the resistance of a bulb vary with temperature. If ignore this feature, I think your answer is right.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the bulb is rated 12W at 10V, that likely means that it produces a reasonable of light at 10 V. The filament of the bulb, under such conditions, will be near its maximum operating temperature.

At 4 V, the same bulb would be operating at a considerably lower temperature. The resistivity of tungsten is very temperature dependent, so the resistance of the bulb would be much less than when it operates at 10 V .

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4

Without a graph, however, is there any more precise method of estimation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook