Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimation of area using CLT

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Your help/input is much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :smile:

Object A is in the unit square 0<x<1, 0<y<1. Consider a random point distributed uniformly over the square; let Y=1 if the point lies inside A and Y=0 otherwise. How could A be estimated from a sequence of n individual points unif. distr. on the square?

I got this part just taking Y as ~Bernoulli(p=A). Let [itex]Y_{i} = f(X_{i})[/itex], then [itex]A≈\frac{1}{n}\sum{Y_{i}}[/itex]

How could the CLT be used to gauge the probable size of the error of the estimate? Denoting the estimate by [itex]\hat{A}[/itex], if [itex]A=0.2[/itex], how large should n be so that [itex]P(|\hat{A} - A| < .01) ≈ .99[/itex]?

I can't figure out this one. Am I supposed to take [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] as the random variable or [itex]|\hat{A}-A|[/itex] as the RV? What is the standard deviation of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] vs. [itex]|\hat{A}-A|[/itex]? My attempt below is only for the first part of the question in the previous paragraph.

Taking [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] as the RV, I started out like this...

[itex]E[\dfrac{Y_{1}+...+Y_{n}}{n}]=\hat{A}[/itex]
    Then [itex]Var(\hat{A})=Var( E[\dfrac{Y_{1}+...+Y_{n}}{n}] )=\frac{1}{n^{2}}Var( nE[Y_{i}] ) = Var( E[Y_{i}] ) = Var(A)[/itex] (since Yi ~ Bernoulli(A) = A)

To estimate [itex]A[/itex] based on [itex]\hat{A}[/itex], pick a small error and a high probability of getting that small error and you could use CLT as follows:

[itex]P(|\hat{A} - A| < .01) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]P(-.01 < \hat{A} - A < .01) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]P(\dfrac{-.01}{σ_{\hat{A}}} < \dfrac{\hat{A} - A}{σ_{\hat{A}}} < \dfrac{.01}{σ_{\hat{A}}}) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]P(\dfrac{-.01}{\sqrt{A}} < Z < \dfrac{.01}{\sqrt{A}}) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]\Phi(\dfrac{.01}{\sqrt{A}}) - \Phi(\dfrac{-.01}{\sqrt{A}}) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]2\Phi(\dfrac{.01}{\sqrt{A}}) - 1) = .99[/itex]
    [itex]\dfrac{.01}{\sqrt{A}}= 2.58[/itex]
    [itex]A = .000015023?[/itex]

I'm definitely sure this is wrong... how the heck did I come up with an actual number for A?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a bit hard to follow because you confuse A with A-hat.
    [itex]\hat{A} = \sum Y_i/n, A = E(\hat{A}[/itex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook