Can Saggital Motion Help Estimate Frontal Displacement in Treadmill Walking?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a research project involving recording videos of subjects walking on a treadmill and analyzing their movements. The subject has placed a 10cm calibration marker on their back to calculate center of mass displacement, but the problem is that the subjects don't always walk in the same spot on the treadmill. They are wondering if measuring the displacement from a saggital recording can help calculate the change in the frontal recording, and if there is another way to do so. Suggestions are made to place another fixed marker for comparison.
btd
Hello everybody,
I hope I am posting this under right topic.
I am running a research project and we are recording videos of subjects from both frontal (back) and saggital (side) plane while they are walking on the treadmill.
I put 10cm long calibration marker on the back of the subject. This way, when I analyze the video recording I can calculate how much center of mass displaced during walking. But the problem is subjects do not walk on the same spot on the treadmill all the time. They go front and back and this makes my 10 cm, 8cm or 12cm (estimation) on the recording
I am just wondering if I measure the displacement from saggital recording, can this help to calculate how much it makes change on 10 cm in frontal recording.

or is there a another way?
Thanks
Tanner

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand - you are looking at how much a marker between two body parts shrinks and grows as they move?.
Can you place another marker by the side of the first but make it fixed so that it only changes size because of the saggital motion?
Then you simply divide one measurement by the other.

1. What is displacement in science?

Displacement in science refers to the change in position of an object, usually measured in a straight line from the initial position to the final position.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest straight line distance from the starting point to the end point. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

3. What is the formula for calculating displacement?

The formula for displacement is:
Displacement = Final position - Initial position.
It is important to note that displacement takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the change in position.

4. How is displacement measured in science?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. It can also be measured using other units, such as feet or inches, as long as the units are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. What are some real-life examples of displacement?

Some examples of displacement in everyday life include the distance a car travels in a straight line from one point to another, the displacement of a person walking from their starting point to their destination, or the displacement of an insect crawling from one leaf to another.