1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimator / Statistics

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    I'm a bit confused about a particular step in a calculation.

Given Theta_n = (2/n)(X1 + X2 + ... + Xn) being an unbiased estimator of Theta for a U(0,Theta), we have to prove it by showing E(Theta_n) = Theta.

And we go on E(Theta_n) = (2/n)E(X1+X2 + .. Xn)

Now at this point the solution is (2/n) * n * (Theta/2) (= Theta which is the sought-after result)

I understand that Theta/2 is the mean of a U() but how exactly does one go from E(X1 + X2 + .. Xn) to equaling it to n*E(Xi)? Is E(X1) = E(X2) = E(Xi)? If yes, why?

(PS. A more complex example is Var(X1+X2 + .. Xn) appearing to also result to nV(Xi) (=nσ^2) )

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2
    Hrm. Afterthought. I guess it might be simply a blatant case of "mean of the whole but it missed the 'over n' so it's n * E(Xi)".

I guess it might apply in the case of Var too..

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3
    I'm having a difficulty seeing how that could be true for Var.

Var((2/n)(X1 + X2 + ... + Xn)) = (4/n^2)nVar(Xi).

I understand 4/n^2 going out as a property of Var but how is Var(X1 + X2 + ... + Xn) = nVar(Xi)?

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4
    Nevermind. I found it. If X1, X2.. are uncorrelated then V(Σ(Xi)) = ΣV(Xi) ..after a proof involving Var's equality with E[X^2) - E^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted