1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eta decay -> 3 pion

1. Aug 19, 2007 #1
    1. The statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am studying the decay of the [tex]\eta[/tex]-particle. Povh et Al, 'Particles and nuclei' say that a decay into 3 pions is not possible via the strong interaction. "For reasons of symmetry 3 pions (isospin equals 1) can not couple to zero isospin." This explains the long lifetime of the eta-particle. I do not understand this.

2. Relevant equations
    Denote by [tex]D^{(j)}[/tex] the non-reducible representations of a rotation in isospin space, then [tex]D^{(1)}\otimes D^{(1)}=D^{(2)}\oplusD^{(1)}\oplusD^{(0)}[/tex]

3. The problem
    As
    [tex]D^{(1)}\otimes D^{(1)}\otimes D^{(1)}= ...\oplus D^{(1)}\otimes D^{(1)}\oplus...[/tex], their are [tex]D^{(0)}[/tex] components in the 3 pion system. Am I making a misinterpretation somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2
    For the purpose of archiving, here's the answer: the decay violates conservation of G-parity, which is conserved in the strong interaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?