Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Etching copper

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the best way to etch copper with house hold materials? It is for making print plates.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This topic came up recently...look for a thread started by DocToxyn here. Gokul and I both recommended "kits" readily available from art stores (not sure about what would be available in Holland though), and DocToxyn might have found something else as an alternative (not what he originally suggested in the thread, which involved some pretty nasty chemicals not readily available to the public). I can't quite remember now.

4. Mar 13, 2005 #3
    Ferric chloride is used to remove copper plating from PC board material. The copper you want to keep is masked. I don't know how deep you can remove with it. Sometimes there are problems where the acid 'undercuts' and goes underneath the mask.

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, I've already tried FeCl3 and it worked :biggrin: The copper was masked with ordinary printer toner transferred from photographic printer paper to the print plate :approve:

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5
    Here is what also works:

Find someone who does laser engraving. Spray paint your copper and have them burn off the paint with the laser where you want to remove copper. I've had excellent results with this. Once etched, use laquer thinner to remove the paint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?