Etching SnO2 Thin Films: Advice Needed

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to etch SnO2 thin films. They have tried wet etching with HCl (5%), NH3Cl, and HF but were unsuccessful. They then tried RIE with CHF3/Ar, which worked but at a slow etching rate of 1-2 nm/mins. They attempted to increase the RF plasma power and gas ratios but saw no improvement. They are now asking for any experiences or literature on using concentrated alkali solutions such as NaOH or KOH to etch SnO2.
dtgiang
Please, give me some advices on how to etch SnO2 thin films.
For wet etching, I tried HCl (5%), NH3Cl, and HF. They seem to not etch SnO2 or the time I put the SnO2 in the solution was too short (<5 mins).
I used RIE with CHF3/Ar to etch SnO2. The RIE worked but the etching rate was so slow, 1-2 nm/mins. I tried to increase the RF plasma power 100, 150, 200 W and the CHF3/Ar gas ratios but the etching rate seemed to be the same.
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should have a look at a chemistry book, like Gmelin?
SnO2 is very inert. Maybe you could try some concentrated alkali solutions (NaOH or KOH).

Thanks DrDu.

If you have some experiences in etching SnO2 with NaOH/KOH, could you, please, share your experiences or give me some literature on that?

Regards,

1. What is etching and how does it work?

Etching is a process used to remove material from a surface in a controlled manner. In the case of SnO2 thin films, it involves using a chemical solution to selectively remove the film from certain areas. This is typically done by using a mask to protect the areas that should not be etched.

2. What are some common etchants used for SnO2 thin films?

Some common etchants for SnO2 thin films include hydrofluoric acid, hydrochloric acid, and nitric acid. Each of these acids has a different level of selectivity and etch rate, so the choice of etchant will depend on the specific needs of the experiment.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing an etchant?

The choice of etchant will depend on several factors, including the desired etch rate, selectivity, and the material being etched. Other factors to consider include safety precautions, cost, and compatibility with the equipment and materials being used.

4. How can I optimize the etching process for SnO2 thin films?

To optimize the etching process, it is important to carefully control the etchant concentration, temperature, and etching time. It is also recommended to perform a series of test runs to determine the optimal conditions for the specific film being etched.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when etching SnO2 thin films?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with etchants, as they can be hazardous to your health. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, as well as working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to properly dispose of the etchant and follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.