Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethanol & Fermentation

1. Jul 24, 2005 #1
    I have read that ethanol is produced by fermenting sugar, but I do not know what kind. I also read ethanol is produced by fermenting cellulose, which is correct?
    I've heard that ethanol can be produced from grass and newspaper, is there anything special you have to do to it?
    What crop/organic substance produces the most ethanol or contains the most substance that can be fermented?
    Is there anything I can add to increase the fermentation rate?
    I want to make a small fermentation plant to produce 20 gallons per month, can this be done in a 10' cube?
    Why don't ethanol producers simply recreate the chemical reactions yeast would do instead of the long process of fermenttion?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    What gets left behind after fermentation (solid waste)?

4. Jul 25, 2005 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may want to look at this.
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-017.html

The major problem of producing ethanol from cellulose is the breakdown of cellulose into simple and useable sugar by the microorganisms.

5. Aug 18, 2005 #4
    According to that article the cellulose is incased in Lignin. The removal of the cellulose from the lignin is the hardest part. But all my encyclopedias and sources say that lignin is removed in the process of making paper , so wouldnt fermentation of paper be easy cheap?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?