Ethanol Production Through Fermentation: Questions Answered

In summary, ethanol can be produced by fermenting sugar or cellulose, with the latter being a more complicated process due to the breakdown of cellulose into usable sugar. Some organic substances that are commonly used for ethanol production include grass and newspaper. To increase fermentation rate, certain additives can be added. It is possible to produce 20 gallons of ethanol per month in a 10' cube fermentation plant. However, the process of fermenting cellulose is still a challenge due to the presence of lignin, which is difficult to remove. The use of paper for ethanol production may seem feasible, but the removal of lignin is a crucial step that is not easily achieved.
GiTS
I have read that ethanol is produced by fermenting sugar, but I do not know what kind. I also read ethanol is produced by fermenting cellulose, which is correct?
I've heard that ethanol can be produced from grass and newspaper, is there anything special you have to do to it?
What crop/organic substance produces the most ethanol or contains the most substance that can be fermented?
Is there anything I can add to increase the fermentation rate?
I want to make a small fermentation plant to produce 20 gallons per month, can this be done in a 10' cube?
Why don't ethanol producers simply recreate the chemical reactions yeast would do instead of the long process of fermenttion?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What gets left behind after fermentation (solid waste)?

You may want to look at this.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-017.html

The major problem of producing ethanol from cellulose is the breakdown of cellulose into simple and useable sugar by the microorganisms.

iansmith said:
You may want to look at this.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-017.html

The major problem of producing ethanol from cellulose is the breakdown of cellulose into simple and useable sugar by the microorganisms.
According to that article the cellulose is incased in Lignin. The removal of the cellulose from the lignin is the hardest part. But all my encyclopedias and sources say that lignin is removed in the process of making paper , so wouldn't fermentation of paper be easy cheap?

1. What is ethanol production through fermentation?

Ethanol production through fermentation is the process of converting sugars into ethanol (alcohol) through the action of yeast or bacteria. This process is commonly used in the production of alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, as well as in the production of biofuels.

2. What are the main sources of sugars for ethanol production through fermentation?

The main sources of sugars for ethanol production through fermentation include grains such as corn, wheat, and barley, as well as crops like sugarcane and sugar beets. These sugars can also be derived from waste materials, such as fruit peels and agricultural residues.

3. How does the fermentation process work?

The fermentation process involves mixing the source of sugars with yeast or bacteria in an oxygen-free environment. The microorganisms then convert the sugars into ethanol and carbon dioxide. This process usually takes several days to complete.

4. What are the benefits of using ethanol as a fuel?

Ethanol is a renewable, clean-burning fuel that can be produced domestically, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels. It also produces fewer emissions than traditional gasoline, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to ethanol production through fermentation?

One potential drawback of ethanol production through fermentation is the competition for food crops, as these crops are also used for food production. There are also concerns about the energy and resources required for the production process, as well as the potential for land-use change and impact on biodiversity. However, advancements in technology are constantly being made to address these concerns and improve the sustainability of ethanol production through fermentation.