Fresnel's Formula & Ether Drag: Resnick Book Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential confusion about a line in Resnick's book regarding the dragging of light by a refractive medium and the role of ether in this phenomenon. The Wikipedia discussion on aether dragging is referenced and it is suggested that Fresnel's conclusion aligns with equation 1-12, but it is unclear how it relates to the underlined sentence.
Arup Biswas
Little confusion regarding one line on Resnick's book! This says light dragged by refractive medium ok but how 'by the ether'? In the rest of the topic he says ether is stationary with respect to the observer(i.e. not dragged along by the water and that is how the Fresnel's exp. was explained).
1532114688591.jpg

Attachments

• 1532114688591.jpg
    1532114688591.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot be sure becasue the passage comes from the middle of a discussion and I am missing the surrounding context. Since no one has leapt in with confidence yet, let me offer something that might help: the Wikipedia discussion of aether dragging.

The Wikiedia discussion says Fresnel concluded the aether is partially dragged by a moving body of the refracting medium, and I see how that is consistent with equation 1-12. If the "this result" refers to equation 1-12, I am not seeing how agrees with the underlined sentence.

1. What is Fresnel's Formula?

Fresnel's Formula is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of light as it passes through a boundary between two media with different refractive indices. It is used to calculate the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at the boundary.

2. What is Ether Drag?

Ether Drag is a theory in physics that was proposed to explain why the speed of light appears to be constant, regardless of the observer's motion. It suggests that there is a medium, called ether, through which light travels and that this medium drags or carries light along with it as it moves through space.

3. What is the connection between Fresnel's Formula and Ether Drag?

In the late 19th century, scientists were trying to reconcile the apparent constancy of the speed of light with the existence of ether. Fresnel's Formula was used to calculate the expected amount of light refraction in an experiment that was designed to detect the motion of the Earth through the ether. However, the results did not match the predictions of Fresnel's Formula, leading to confusion and the eventual abandonment of the ether theory.

4. Why is there confusion surrounding the topic of Fresnel's Formula and Ether Drag?

The confusion surrounding this topic stems from the fact that Fresnel's Formula was initially used to support the existence of ether, but the results of the experiment did not match the predictions. This led to a re-evaluation of the theory of ether and the eventual acceptance of the theory of relativity, which explains the constancy of the speed of light without the need for an ether medium.

5. How is this topic relevant in modern science?

Although the theory of ether has been disproven, the study of Fresnel's Formula and ether drag is still relevant in modern science. It provides insight into the history of scientific thought and the development of the theory of relativity. Additionally, Fresnel's Formula is still used in optics and photonics research, as it is a fundamental equation in the study of light behavior.