Identifying Compounds in Benzoic Acid-Methanol Conversion

• Thread starter zmike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, the experiment aims to convert benzoic acid to methyl benzoate using methanol and sodium bicarbonate. After the reaction, the organic ether layer contains methyl benzoate while the inorganic layer contains excess methanol and sodium bicarbonate. It is important to use excess benzoic acid to drive the reaction to completion. The majority of the methanol can be found in the lower water layer and can be removed by adding a drying agent such as MgSO4 or Na2SO4.
zmike
My experiment converted Benzoic acid to methyl benzoate using methanol but after adding sodiumbicarb. ether, I am not quite sure what is in where.

Is there methanol or ethanol in the ether layer? since I've read that sodium Carbonate (not bicarb) will not be soluble in ethanol would this mean that ethanol must be in the ether layer?
and what else would be in the bicarb layer?

thanks

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the goal of the experiment?

Bicarbonate is a weak base.

zmike said:
My experiment converted Benzoic acid to methyl benzoate using methanol but after adding sodiumbicarb. ether, I am not quite sure what is in where.

Is there methanol or ethanol in the ether layer? since I've read that sodium Carbonate (not bicarb) will not be soluble in ethanol would this mean that ethanol must be in the ether layer?
and what else would be in the bicarb layer?

thanks

After the esterification, you're left with methyl benzoate in your organic ether layer and everything else in your inorganic (water) layer. Excess methanol should be in the water layer as well as any leftover sodium bicarbonate. Remember that ethanol and methanol are miscible in water.

Thank you for the quick replies,
I heard that if you used ethanol instead that some of the ethanol ends up in the ether layer so I thought the same would have happened with the methanol.

I wouldn't doubt that it would, but not to any significant extent.

When one performs these types of reactions, one reagent is generally in excess to drive the reaction to completion. Did you use excess benzoic acid or excess methanol? Ideally one would use excess benzoic acid since it is easier to separate the unreacted benzoic acid from the methyl benzoate than to separate the methyl benzoate from the unreacted methanol.

You have most of the methanol in the lower water layer. Some will dissolve in the ether but that is normally not a problem because both are low boiling and will go when the ether is evaporated. Remember to add a drying agent first though. Prefereably MgSO4 or, less efficient, Na2SO4. Ether dissolves about 7% water.

1. What is benzoic acid-methanol conversion?

Benzoic acid-methanol conversion is a chemical reaction that occurs when benzoic acid, a common organic acid, is mixed with methanol, a type of alcohol. This reaction results in the formation of methyl benzoate, which is commonly used as a flavoring or fragrance agent.

2. How can compounds in this conversion be identified?

Compounds in the benzoic acid-methanol conversion can be identified using various analytical techniques such as gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods allow for the separation and detection of different compounds present in the reaction mixture.

3. What are the potential applications of this conversion?

The benzoic acid-methanol conversion has various potential applications in the production of flavorings, fragrances, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the synthesis of other chemicals and as a solvent in industrial processes.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of this conversion?

The efficiency of the benzoic acid-methanol conversion can be affected by factors such as temperature, reactant concentrations, and catalysts. Higher temperatures and catalysts can speed up the reaction, while lower temperatures and impurities in the reactants can decrease the efficiency.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to this conversion?

As with any chemical reaction, there are potential safety concerns associated with the benzoic acid-methanol conversion. Methanol is a toxic substance and should be handled with caution. Proper safety measures, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should be followed when conducting this conversion.