Ethernet cable ?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

cand you take the end off of an ethernet cable
and put on another cable , it seems like once thier crimped on yer done .

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're correct, the connectors are meant to be crimped once and only once. Good thing they're very cheap.

- Warren

thank-you

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cand you take the end off of an ethernet cable
and put on another cable , it seems like once thier crimped on yer done .
You can buy the connectors and a crimping tool at Radio Shack.

sweet thanks , can i get buy with just using pliers.

the contacts just have blades that dig through the insulation. it would be difficult to pull them up and reuse the connector, but i think i've actually done that once. if you've got some skill with redneck engineering, and a lot of dexterity, you might can pull it off. but your best bet if it's only 25ft or so is to just purchase a new cable with the ends already connected. if you get the cheapo radio shack plastic tool, be gentle with it.

k well i already have a 50 feet of cord with no ends , a two like 5 foot cords with ends .

wow thanks you have been very helpful , this is red neck but can i strip off each little wire of the 8 wires and then twist them together then duck tape them individuals to splice one on with an end .

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
You can also try most computer store for the crimper (bonus: the pricing is usually online, allowing you to better compare pricing). They're also sold at places like Office Depot or Staples (but they'll probably be the most expensive).

Also, do you have any really computer-inclined friends? Chances are that one might have one. And putting "YOURNAME really, really would like to borrow an RJ-45 crimper" on Facebook or Myspace occasionally turns up good results, depending on who's in your circle of friends (and how favourably-inclined they are to you).

instead of the crimper can i used pliers

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
wow thanks you have been very helpful , this is red neck but can i strip off each little wire of the 8 wires and then twist them together then duck tape them individuals to splice one on with an end .
Using telephone splices (available at Radioshack, or any hardware store with an electrical / telecom section) would be better (contact-wise, and just in terms of robustness). However, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have a lot of signal attenuation and reduced speeds (especially since you'll probably be untwisting the pairs for a fair bit mid-connection).

You're that much better off just buying / borrowing the crimp tool (I'm not sure if the hardware store ones would be cheaper than the other ones mentioned above). Or just buying the pre-made cables, as others have suggested. I bought the tool, but that's because I was making 30 cables.

can you? you've got to find a way to push the contacts into the indentions without breaking the plastic housing.

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
Probably not too well. You may be able to use a knife to punch down the blades one at a time, but chances are that one or more of the individual wires will pop-out / not be properly terminated / connected by the time you're done.

i see , well i'll prolly get the tool because i dont want to drill that big of hole through the floor big enough for the end to go thorugh i already have the cable under the house
i just need to put ends on it ,

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If this is just for home use (you don't need gigabit or Cat5E certified) you only need to connect 2 pairs, just use pins 1+2 and 3+6 (counting from the left looking into the plug) You can join the wires using a regular 3Amp choc-block.

If you are running cables in the house and you don't have room for a lot of wire you can also run 2 connections down a single cable - use 1+2/3+6 for one socket and 4+5,7+8 for the other. Again doesn't work for gigabit.