Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethernet cables draws current?

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1
    It is the second occurence. In the morning, when i turn on my computer, i figure out that it has around 4-6% battery powe missing. At night, only the ethernet cable (and usb mouse, but i eleminated it as a suspect for the power theft :cool: ) is plugged in.

So could be that the thief here is the ethernet cable??
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2
    So, be a scientist. Unplug the ethernet cable tonight & see what happens. :biggrin:
  4. Feb 2, 2005 #3
    Yes, that I will do. I will uncover the culprit behind this. :D
  5. Feb 2, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your ethernet card might have remote-wake capability, meaning it stays awake listening for instructions to boot the computer up. You might want to use whatever utilities that came with the card/computer to disable remote wake. You might be able to make this change in Windows XP, but in the old days you had to use a vendor-provided utility.

On the other hand, it's a laptop -- batteries will slowly discharge even when nothing is connected to them, because they are not perfect.

- Warren
  6. Feb 2, 2005 #5
    most computers today use standby modes and electronic power switches these draw
    some current and there could other standby modes in the computer especially
    in laptops
  7. Feb 3, 2005 #6
    Yes, I think this is the reason. I left the laptop overnight without being plugged to either a power source or to ethernet cable, and still there was around 2-3% battery power missing. Thanks for your replies all.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?