Plagiarism in Parkinson's Disease Research: Should I Take Action?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's dilemma of coming across two articles, one from a research group and one from the BBC, that discuss separate aspects of Parkinson's disease. The BBC article appears to have copied a section from the research article without proper citation. The student is unsure if they should report this possible plagiarism to the BBC. Some suggest sending a letter to the BBC to inform them, while others believe it is not worth the effort. It is mentioned that a proper citation can prevent future plagiarism and potentially save the original authors from being sued. Others speculate that both articles may have pulled the basic description from the same source and therefore it may not be considered plagiarism. Ultimately, the decision is left to the student if they feel inclined to
klusener
I'm studying Parkinson's disease for a project assigned in class. During my research, I came across two articles published three days apart, the former from a research group detailing one of their studies and the latter from the BBC. They discuss completely separate aspects of the disease and have nothing to do with each other, but the BBC article copies nearly word for word a section from the research article that lays out a basic description of the disease. It's been nearly seven months since the BBC article was published. Should I just ignore this possible case of plagiarism or should I send an email to the BBC?

I don't imagine anything worthwhile will happen, except that the necessary citation might be added. It's probably not worth the effort, but I was hoping for some advice either way, because I can't make up my mind.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you feel inclined to do so, then send them a letter. A proper citation goes a long way, since then people know who really wrote that part and more importantly that same "author" could still be plagiarizing other people and s/he should be punished for it.

It's not "taddling" because you are contacting the people that did it wrong to give them a shot at fixing their mistake. If they still don't, then you should probably contact the people who originally wrote the article.

You should contact them and let them know that the author of the story plagiarized the paragraph. You would be doing them a favor, they could get sued.

klusener said:
basic description of the disease

Considering the nature, I'm probably sure even the BBC copied off someone else. If it's considered general, then it will not be considered "plagiarism".

I wouldn't even bother if it's just a basic paragraph. That's like copying word for word a theorem to use in your work. It's basic.

I'm with JasonRox on this. I wouldn't be surprised if both articles pulled the basic description from the same third source. Both should cite the source for the description, but it sounds like the basic description is background info the reader needs to know (if they didn't already) in order to understand the articles.

1. What exactly is plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research?

Plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research is the act of using someone else's ideas, information, or writing without proper attribution or credit. This can include copying and pasting text from another source, paraphrasing without giving credit, or using data or images without permission.

2. How common is plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research?

Unfortunately, plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research is not uncommon. It can occur at any stage of the research process, from writing a grant proposal to publishing a paper. It is important for researchers to be vigilant and ensure that their work is original and properly cited.

3. What are the consequences of plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research?

The consequences of plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research can be serious and damaging. It can lead to loss of credibility and reputation for the researcher, rejection of papers or grant proposals, and even legal action. Plagiarism can also harm the progress of scientific research by hindering the development of new and original ideas.

4. How can I avoid plagiarism in my Parkinson's disease research?

The best way to avoid plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research is to always properly cite and credit any ideas, information, or writing that is not your own. This includes using quotation marks for direct quotes, paraphrasing in your own words, and citing sources in a consistent and accurate manner. It is also important to use plagiarism detection software to check your work before submitting it.

5. What should I do if I suspect plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research?

If you suspect plagiarism in Parkinson's disease research, it is important to bring it to the attention of the appropriate authorities. This may include the editor of a journal, the funding agency for a grant, or the institution where the research was conducted. It is also important to gather evidence and document your concerns in a professional manner.