Exploring the Ethics of Alcohol and Drugs: How Can We Justify Their Use?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of alcohol as a means of reaching a state of euphoria and escaping psychological barriers. The potential ethical problems of excessive drinking and the potential harm to others, such as drunk driving, are also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the argument against alcohol, with one person stating that it cannot be argued that one should not search to escape reality since dreams serve the same purpose. However, it is pointed out that escaping reality while drunk can lead to dangerous consequences, unlike dreams. The conversation then explores the idea of moderation and responsibility when it comes to substances like alcohol and marijuana, and concludes that as long as they are used in moderation and do not lead to loss of control, they can have positive effects on
dekoi
How does one go about arguing against things of this nature?

For me, alcohol is a way to reach a state of euphoria and to rid myself of my psychological barriers (such as shyness). Of course, i see the problem with excessive drinking, since that could result in some sort of addiction to the ethanol and such. But mild euphoria as a result of alcohol does not seem to show me any signs of ethical problems.

How would one argue against alcohol? They can't state, "One should not search to escape reality". Because, e.g. dreams are exactly that.

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
How does one go about arguing against things of this nature?

For me, alcohol is a way to reach a state of euphoria and to rid myself of my psychological barriers (such as shyness). Of course, i see the problem with excessive drinking, since that could result in some sort of addiction to the ethanol and such. But mild euphoria as a result of alcohol does not seem to show me any signs of ethical problems.

How would one argue against alcohol? They can't state, "One should not search to escape reality". Because, e.g. dreams are exactly that.

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

because the nature of the influence of these substances can harm others, such as drunk driving.

Hi,

It is just a bunch of fascist pigs, who would deny you the right to modify your consciousness.

It's all fine. It's been done for millenia.

juju

Kerrie said:
because the nature of the influence of these substances can harm others, such as drunk driving.
As a former Boy Scout, I learned our first duty is to ourselves, so I'd say that even if something doesn't hurt others (and yes, I agree that virtually every action of yours has consequences for others), it can still be morally wrong.

dekoi said:

Escaping reality and entering a state of euphoria while drunk can lead to nasty results (accidentally killing someone in a barfight) or the forementioned drunk driving.

Dreams seem to be different though in that they are not dangerous to others (unless you have the tendency to sleep-drive :biggrin: ).

Excuse me for not being clear.

After thinking longer about the subject, and getting some advice from a philosophy teacher i have come down to several conclusions.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with drinking alchohol. It is completely normal and has been said to be even healthy (correct me if I am wrong) for the human body. After all, the human body needs rest from reality; it needs to slightly detach (not fully) from these psychological barriers i talk of. Most importantly, to enter a sort-of metaphysical reality and escaping our own physical reality is truly a great thing. It gives us a time to reflect. And most of all, to relax from daily worries.

Keep in mind, this is about drinking, NOT getting drunk. Getting drunk is extremely dangerous, and as said, can lead to serious harm to the individual and to the state.

That is all part of the responsibility with things such as alchohol.

Now, to relate say.. marijuana to this. Marijuan's stimulant is said to be more powerful than alchohol's. Therefore, when one receives a dosage of this drug, they are completely subject to its control; as supposed to alchohol, in which they remain in control of their own will.

Therefore, to conclude, this sort of pleasure-giving stimulants are 'good' to the individual and to the state as long as they are in moderation, and do not lead to loss of control of human will.

1. What are the ethical considerations surrounding the use of alcohol and drugs?

The use of alcohol and drugs can raise several ethical concerns, such as the potential harm to oneself and others, the impact on decision-making and judgement, and the potential for addiction and dependency. Additionally, the legality and social acceptability of certain substances can also be ethical considerations.

2. How do ethical principles guide decisions about alcohol and drug use?

Ethical principles, such as respect for autonomy, non-maleficence, beneficence, and justice, can help guide decisions about alcohol and drug use. These principles encourage individuals to consider the potential consequences of their actions, the impact on others, and the principles of fairness and equality.

3. What role do cultural and social norms play in the ethical use of alcohol and drugs?

Cultural and social norms can influence the way individuals view and use alcohol and drugs. These norms can vary greatly across different cultures and communities, and can impact the perceived acceptability and consequences of using these substances. It is important to critically examine and question these norms in order to make ethical decisions about alcohol and drug use.

4. How can the use of alcohol and drugs be approached in an ethical manner?

Approaching the use of alcohol and drugs in an ethical manner involves considering the potential consequences of one's actions, respecting the autonomy and wellbeing of oneself and others, and following laws and regulations. It also involves being aware of personal biases and societal influences, and making informed and responsible decisions.

5. What ethical considerations should be taken into account when conducting research on alcohol and drugs?

When conducting research on alcohol and drugs, it is important to consider the potential harm to participants and ensure their safety and well-being. Informed consent must be obtained and participants should be fully informed of the purpose and potential risks of the study. Researchers must also follow ethical guidelines and regulations set by their institution and professional organizations.