Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethidium bromide volatile in hot agarose solution?

1. Mar 28, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is ethidium bromide volatile in hot agarose solution? Some people add ethidium bromide to melted agarose solution, or reuse agarose containing ethidium bromide by melting it. If EtBr is heat-volatile, then it may pose danger to these persons. I always feel uncomfortable when remelting gels and avoid breathing in the air.. is there a real health hazard here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 28, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, someone is on the same wavelength as me.. posted one day in advance..

Does anyone know the boiling point and vapour pressure of EtBR?

5. Mar 29, 2003 #4

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Tnanks so much for bringing that Forum to my attention Ian. That might really help me over the next couple of years as I start getting into the really technical side of Molecular Biology =)

6. Mar 29, 2003 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're welcome

I have check this forum for a while but never used any of the information given. The guy that works with me has a good background in biotechnology and molecular biology but the forum migth be usefull later.

7. Mar 31, 2003 #6
    There is another reagent for DNA labelling (I have never used it), its name is megafluor (EuroClone) and the toxicity is less than the EtBr, is not able to pass through cellular membranes and does not produce environmental pollution. It uses the standard electrophoretic techniques and transilluminators.
    An alternative!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?