Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethiopia invades Somalia

1. Dec 24, 2006 #1
    Horn of Africa: Regional war?

NYT is right on, definitely a regional war here. Watch for Ertirea's involvement, naturally. The 4,200 UN soldiers on the border won't be doing anything, as usual.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2006 #2
    recently i saw part of an interview on BBC with a U.N. negotiator who returned from darfur. the guy said basically that he was trying to negotiate without the tool of force in any capacity because the security council wouldn't agree on any course of action. he mentioned that there were a spectrum of measures that could have been taken that would have involved agreement from the security council that ranges from doing nothing on one end to 'sending in the troops' on the other, with lots of things in between like making no-fly zones. unfortunately there is just the right level of political interest in this region that some oppose an intervention and the rest don't want to participate unilaterally.

it seems hell is going to freeze over before the U.N. intents to prevent ethnic cleansing in africa
  4. Dec 24, 2006 #3
    Ethnic cleansing?
  5. Dec 24, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I presume he's griping about Rwanda and the like. But I'm with you; I don't see how it's relevant to this thread.
  6. Dec 25, 2006 #5
    I think it's relevant to this bit of the OP:
  7. Dec 25, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're referring to the bit about ethnic cleansing.
  8. Dec 25, 2006 #7
    what i was talking about when i said ethnic cleansing is that the UN soldiers on the boarder are not going to be doing anything as a matter of course. why would anyone expect UN soldiers do anything about an ethiopian invasion of somalia?
  9. Dec 25, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you merely meant something to the effect of

The UN won't even stop ethnic cleansing, so they certainly won't stop something as mundane as this!​

then say so. Since those extra thought processes were not present in your original post; the only reasonable reading is that you were calling the current situation in Somalia as an example ethnic cleansing.
  10. Dec 25, 2006 #9
    Why would they want to? The Ethiopians are assisting the U.N.-backed Somali government, by fightning the Islamic militias which are the common enemy.
  11. Dec 25, 2006 #10
    To clarify, my comment was about the U.N. force on the Eritrean-Ethiopian border. They're ostensibly there to secure a disputed territory between two enemies (wiki article). Since the NYT article expects Eritrea to become involved against Ethiopia, I was commenting on how the U.N. force would be powerless to prevent re-ignition of an old conflict, despite their "mandate".

I'm actually not aware of any U.N. force in Somalia or its borders...
  12. Dec 25, 2006 #11
    Regional war likely

Grim views all around.

13. Dec 26, 2006 #12
    what i was saying is that the UN has been presented with situations that clearly called for dramatic action and they did nothing. this is a situation that does not yet require any dramatic action, so yes, the 4,200 UN soldiers on the border won't be doing anything, as usual.
  14. Dec 28, 2006 #13

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?