1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethylene reaction

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1
    just a basic rookie question. What are the products when ethylene reacts with fluorine gas (i.e., burned in presence of fluorine)?

I was given the following data:
    [itex]H_2 + F_2 \rightarrow 2HF \Delta H^{o} = -537 kJ [/itex]
    [itex]C + 2F_2 \rightarrow CF_4 \Delta H^{o} = -680 kJ [/itex]
    [itex]2C + 2H_2 \rightarrow C_2 H_4 \Delta H^{o} = +52.3 kJ [/itex]

I used the starting formula [itex] C_2 H_4 + 4F_2 [/itex]

I balanced out equations and got two possibilities, and I'm not sure which one to go with. In one, it forms 2 hydrogen molecules and 2 carbon tetrafluoride, and in the other it forms 1 C, 2 HF and 1 carbon tetrafluoride. BOTH of these balance out and I don't know which one to go with.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the Fluorine is the most reactive element among the electronegative/nonmetal ones,i'd say that both reactions are in theory possible,since the fluorine has the power to knock both C and H from such compounds.However,i think that it may add(itonate ..??,is this the word) to the C_{2}H_{4} breaking the double bond and resulting something like
    C_{2}F_{2}H_{2}.However,i find the second reaction (almost) impossble.

P.S.Any chemist is invited to express his/her opinion. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?