Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euclidean and plane geometry.

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    What is the difference between the Euclidean Geometry and the simple plane geometry? They seems to work with flat planes.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi yungman! :smile:

i'm confused :redface:

aren't they the same thing? :confused:

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't necessarily associate "plane geometry" with Euclidean geometry. Something like [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are also Euclidean geometries (to me).

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the reply, I just gone on the Youtube to take a crash course into spherical trigonometry. The lectures review the basic of Euclidean geometry as an introduction to spherical geometry. Everything about Euclidean geometry sounds like just simple plane geometry I learned long time ago, but I never learn the name Euclidean geometry. I really don't know the detail, that's the reason I asked.

Thanks

Alan

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Alan!
    Yes it is … different name, same thing! :smile:

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6
    Hi Tiny-Tim

Thanks for the reply. That's all I want to know.

Alan

8. Feb 6, 2013 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

to me plane geometry means two dimensional geometry, either euclidean or hyperbolic, while euclidean geometry means essentially the geometry of R^n, i.e. a geometry of any finite dimension in which triangles have angle sum 180 degrees.

to people who have not studied hyperbolic plane geometry, the term plane geometry probably means the more familiar euclidean plane geometry. i do not consider the hyperbolic plane to be flat however.

9. Feb 6, 2013 #8
    I guess I consider plane geometry can be extended to 3D as long as all the surfaces are flat. Just like a cube composes of six planes. All the trig functions apply.

The spherical surface is totally different where circumference is not 2[itex]\pi[/itex]R as the surface is not flat.

10. Feb 6, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe geometries (2D or 3D) are referred to as Euclidean if the parallel postulate holds. In Euclidean geometry, a 2D triangle has a total internal angle of 180 degrees or pi radians. In non-Euclidean geometries, there is no parallel postulate, and the total internal angle of a 2D triangle is not equal to 180 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook