Euclidean geometry-2 planes

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for a point on a plane and is stuck because they do not understand how to do it in terms of vectors.
irycio

Homework Statement

Three-dimensional, euclidean space. We've got 2 non-parallel planes:
[tex] \vec{OX} \cdot \vec{b_1}=\mu_1[/tex] and [tex] \vec{OX} \cdot \vec{b_2}=\mu_2[/tex]. Find all the points Y such that Y lies on the first plane and Y+[tex]\vec{a}[/tex] lies on the 2nd one. What did you get?

Homework Equations

Come in (3.)

The Attempt at a Solution

So we start with such equations:
[tex]\vec{OY} \cdot \vec{b_1}=\mu_1 [/tex] AND [tex]\vec{OY} \cdot \vec{b_2} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b_2}=\mu_2 [/tex].
Simple manipulation and we get:
[tex] \vec{OY} \cdot (\vec{b_1} - \vec{b_2} )= \mu_1 - \mu_2 +\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b_2} [/tex] (substracted 2nd equation from the 1st one).
And this is where I get stuck, I have no idea how to have [tex]\vec{OY} [/tex] on one side and the rest on the other.

Thx in advance for your help!

E: I'm not even sure that what I've got so far is correct-I believe that those points should all lie on one line, and I've got a plane again. But what I believe in geometry is not necessarily true :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first consider all the points given by Y + a, this will be a plane parallel to the first offset by the vector a.

The points you want will be the intersection of the offset plane with the 2nd plane

I still don't catch it. I mean, I understand and see what you wrote, but have no idea, how to proceed with the exercise. If only it was possible to get a plane equation in the form of OX=a+td1+sd2...

ok, i agree the equation of teh plane is takes a little getting used to

To simplify notation let's call the plane X and any vector form the origin to a point on the plane x = OX, then we have
[tex] x \cdot b_1=\mu_1[/tex]

now say [itex] |b_1|^2 = \beta_1^2 [/itex]

take consider the vector [itex] b_1' = \frac{\mu_1}{\beta_1^2} b_1 [/itex]

clearly that vector is on X, as
[tex] b_1' \cdot b_1 = \frac{\mu_1}{\beta_1^2} b_1 \cdot b_1 = \mu_1[/tex]

now say you have another vector x on the plane, and consider [itex] x' = x-b_1' [/itex], then:

[tex] x' \cdot b_1 = (x-b_1') \cdot b_1 = (x \cdot b_1)- (b_1' \cdot b_1) =0[/tex]

so now you know b_1 is normal to the plane X, and b_1' is a vector on X, which should allow you to manipulate the equation of the plane

1. What is Euclidean geometry?

Euclidean geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of points, lines, angles, and shapes in two-dimensional space.

2. What are planes in Euclidean geometry?

A plane in Euclidean geometry is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is defined by three non-collinear points or by a line and a point not on that line.

3. How are two planes related in Euclidean geometry?

Two planes in Euclidean geometry can intersect, be parallel, or be perpendicular to each other. When two planes intersect, they form a line. When two planes are parallel, they never intersect. When two planes are perpendicular, they intersect at a right angle.

4. What is the distance between two planes in Euclidean geometry?

The distance between two planes in Euclidean geometry is the length of the shortest line segment connecting the two planes. This can be found by finding the shortest distance between a point on one plane and a point on the other plane.

5. How is Euclidean geometry used in real life?

Euclidean geometry is used in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to design and build structures, solve problems involving angles and shapes, and understand the relationships between objects in space.