Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euclidean group E(n) elements

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well I am not sure if this thread belongs here or in mathematics/groups but since it also has to do with physics, I think SR would be the correct place.
    An element of the Euclidean group [itex]E(n)[/itex] can be written in the form [itex](O,\vec{b})[/itex] which acts:
    [itex] \vec{x} \rightharpoondown O\vec{x}+\vec{b}[/itex]
    With [itex]O \in O(n)[/itex] and [itex] \vec{b} \in R^{n}[/itex]
    This would mean that the vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] would be rotated by some angle and then translated by a vector.

Now I'm having a certain problem. Since it's a group, the multiplication of two of its elements should be an element itself.
    this I write:
    [itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}})(O_{1},\vec{b_{1}})\vec{x}[/itex]
    giving:
    [itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})[/itex]

From here I followed two paths which I think the first gives a wrong answer, while I'm pretty sure the 2nd gives the correct one... However I don't understand what's their difference.

wrong path
    [itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})=(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) O_{1}\vec{x}+(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) \vec{b_{1}}[/itex]
    which gives:
    [itex]O_{2} O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{2}} +O_{2} \vec{b_{1}} + \vec{b_{2}}[/itex]
    see the two times of [itex]\vec{b_{2}}[/itex] appearing

correct path
    I write that:
    [itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})=(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) \vec{x_{2}}[/itex]
    So I get:
    [itex]O_{2}\vec{x_{2}}+\vec{b_{2}}[/itex]
    and reentering the definition of [itex]x_{2}=O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}}[/itex] I get:
    [itex]O_{2}O_{1}\vec{x}+O_{2}\vec{b_{1}}+\vec{b_{2}}[/itex]

So here we have [itex]\vec{b_{2}}[/itex] only once....
    I was able to distinguish the correct from the wrong due to physical imaging (by double rotations and translations), however I don't understand (or more precisely see) what's the difference (and so the wrong in the 1st case) between the two approaches...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

In method 1 you're trying to use the distributive law where it does not apply. You're saying Tb(x + y) = (x + b) + (y + b), whereas it should be just Tb(x + y) = x + y + b.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3

BruceW

Homework Helper

In other words, the transformation is not linear. f(x+y) not equal to f(x) + f(y) in general.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think the problem of non-linearity is in the translations part... that's kinda funny, thanks...

6. Feb 1, 2014 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. it is pretty interesting. try looking up affine transformation, that should give more info on this topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook