Solving BTZ Black Hole w/ Euclidean Method

In summary: The minus sign comes from the integration of ##K##, which is given by the extrinsic curvature of the boundary. The summary of this conversation is that the speaker is trying to calculate the mass and entropy of a non-rotating BTZ black hole using the Euclidean method. They are encountering an issue where they are getting an extra minus sign in their calculation of the Euclidean action. They provide the BTZ metric and the Euclidean action for reference. After some discussion and calculations, they realize that the issue may be due to a mistake in the bounds of integration. The summary is that the speaker is seeking help to deduce the correct Euclidean action for the BTZ black hole. In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the
craigthone
I know this is some kind of exercise problem, but it isnot widely discussed in general general relativity textbook. Sorry to post it here.

I want to calculate the mass and entropy of non-rotating BTZ black hole using Euclidean method. When I calculate the Euclidean action, I always get an extra minus sign. I think the claculation is standard. Who can help me out? Thanks in advanced.

The BTZ metric $$ds^2=(r^2-8M)d\tau^2+\frac{dr^2}{r^2-8M}+r^2d\phi^2$$
where ##\tau\sim \tau+ \beta , \beta=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2M}}##

The Euclidean action for BTZ is $$S_E=-\frac{1}{16\pi} \int_M \sqrt{r}(R+2) -\frac{1}{8\pi} \int_{\partial M} \sqrt{h} K +\frac{a}{8\pi} \int_{\partial M} \sqrt{h}$$
For the BTZ black hole solution, we have
$$\sqrt{g}=r, \sqrt{h}=r\sqrt{r^2-8M}$$
$$ n_{\alpha}=(r^2-8M)^{-1/2}\partial_{\alpha} r $$
$$ R=-6, K=\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2-8M}}+\frac{\sqrt{r^2-8M}}{r} $$

Then we have

$$ -\frac{1}{16\pi} \int_M \sqrt{r}(R+2) =\frac{\beta}{4}r^2_0$$
$$-\frac{1}{8\pi} \int_{\partial M} \sqrt{h} K=-\frac{\beta}{4}[2r^2_0-8M^2]$$
$$ \frac{a}{8\pi} \int_{\partial M} \sqrt{h}=a\frac{\beta}{4}[2r^2_0-4M^2] $$

In order to cancel the divergent part of the action, we take ##a=1##. Then the Euclidean action is ##S_E=\beta M =\frac{\pi^2 }{2\beta}##, and the black hole energy is ##E=\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} S_E=-M##. This is awkard since we know that ##E=M## for the black hole.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where you are getting the minus sign. You say ##S_E = \beta M##. So $$\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} S_E = \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \beta M = M$$

How to deduce the Euclidean action for BTZ?

I think the problem is that the bulk action part should be integral from ##r=r_h## to ##r=r_0## rather than ##r=0## to ##r=r_0##. Then it is ok.

davidge said:
I don't see where you are getting the minus sign. You say ##S_E = \beta M##. So $$\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} S_E = \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \beta M = M$$
##\beta ## is the function of M.

1. What is the Euclidean method for solving BTZ black holes?

The Euclidean method is a mathematical technique used to solve for the thermodynamic properties of black holes. It involves transforming the Lorentzian spacetime of a black hole into a Euclidean one, which makes it easier to apply thermodynamic laws and calculate properties such as entropy and temperature.

2. How does the Euclidean method work for BTZ black holes?

The Euclidean method for solving BTZ black holes involves transforming the BTZ metric into a Euclidean one by substituting the time coordinate with an imaginary one. This transforms the black hole's horizon into a regular point, making it easier to apply thermodynamic laws. The resulting Euclidean metric is then used to calculate the black hole's entropy and temperature.

3. Why is the Euclidean method useful for solving BTZ black holes?

The Euclidean method is useful for solving BTZ black holes because it simplifies the calculation of thermodynamic properties such as entropy and temperature. It also allows for a direct comparison with other black hole solutions, making it easier to study the thermodynamics of black holes in general.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Euclidean method for solving BTZ black holes?

One limitation of the Euclidean method for solving BTZ black holes is that it only works for stationary black holes, meaning that the black hole's properties do not change with time. It also assumes that the black hole is in thermal equilibrium, which may not always be the case.

5. Can the Euclidean method be applied to other types of black holes?

Yes, the Euclidean method can be applied to other types of black holes as well. It has been used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of various black hole solutions, such as the Kerr black hole and the Reissner-Nordström black hole. However, it may not always yield accurate results and should be used with caution.