Solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16

• Thread starter jerryczj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euclidean
In summary: It's a good starting point. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from chapter 1 of "Baby Rudin" that involves proving statements about points x, y, and z in Rk. The question is broken down into three parts, and it is suggested to draw a sketch to visualize the geometry of the problem. It is also mentioned that there may be an infinite number of possible locations for z in part 1, and that the geometry can help with understanding the problem analytically.
jerryczj

Homework Statement

This is a problem from baby rudin in Chapter 1, I've done all of them except this(problem 16).
suppose k>=3,x,y belongs to [R][/k],|x-y|=d>0,and r>0.prove:
(1)if 2r>d, there are infinitely many z belong to R(k) such that |z-x|=|z-y|=r.
(2)if 2r=d, there is exactly one such z.
(3)if 2r<d, there is no such z.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a part of this question. I can't prove (1). About (2), when 2r=d, let z=(x+y)/2, then |z-x|=|z-y|=d/2. However, I can't prove it is unique. About (3), suppose there exists such z, then by thereom 1.37 in baby rudin we have 2r=|z-x|+|z-y|>=|x-y|=d, which contradicts the fact that 2r<d.

May somebody help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
OMG,will somebody tell me why there is not anybody replied?

jerryczj said:
OMG,will somebody tell me why there is not anybody replied?
If someone tells you why no one has replied, then someone would have replied, making the need for an answer to your question unnecessary.:biggrin:

For the three parts of your question, you are dealing with three points in Rk: x, y, and z.

Draw a picture of x and y at a distance of d apart. Now add a point z. For part 2, it's pretty clear from the geometry that there is only one place that z could be. For part 3, it's also pretty clear that there could not be any point z that satisfies the given condition.

For part 1, the geometry shows that there are an infinite number of possible locations for z.

For the three parts of your question, you are dealing with three points in Rk: x, y, and z.

Draw a picture of x and y at a distance of d apart. Now add a point z. For part 2, it's pretty clear from the geometry that there is only one place that z could be. For part 3, it's also pretty clear that there could not be any point z that satisfies the given condition.

For part 1, the geometry shows that there are an infinite number of possible locations for z.[/QUOTE]
I appreciate it very much. However, I don't think it is an analytic way. Any way, thank you for so kind to a noob.

But drawing a sketch shows you the geometry, which should get you thinking about how you would write up a more analytical explanation.

1. What is the goal of solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16?

The goal of solving this problem is to practice using the definition of a limit to prove that a given sequence is convergent or divergent.

2. What are the steps to solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16?

The steps to solving this problem include understanding the given sequence, using the definition of a limit to establish a relationship between the sequence and the limit, and using algebraic manipulations and inequalities to prove the convergence or divergence of the sequence.

3. What is the significance of solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16?

Solving this problem allows us to understand the concept of limits and how they relate to sequences, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and real analysis. It also helps improve our mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common challenges when solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16?

Some common challenges when solving this problem include understanding the definition of a limit and how to apply it, using algebraic manipulations correctly, and determining the appropriate inequalities to use in the proof.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving Baby Rudin Chapter 1 Problem 16?

Some tips for solving this problem include carefully reading and understanding the given sequence, breaking down the proof into smaller steps, and practicing with similar problems to improve familiarity with the concept and techniques needed to solve it.