Alternative to Euclid's Concept of Straight Line

• Thread starter pjunky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses dissatisfaction with Euclid's concept of straight line and shortest distance between two given points. The speaker is currently studying "The Elements" and is interested in finding alternative viewpoints. They mention Hilbert's formulation of axiomatic geometry and criticize Euclid's reliance on common sense in proofs. The conversation also touches on the vagueness of Euclid's definition of a straight line and the concept of the third dimension.
pjunky
I'm not getting satisfied with Euclid's concept of straight line and shortest distance b/w to given points is a Straight line,At present I'm studying "The Elements".

Can you people know any alternatives on this topic?
I'm interested to study them.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pjunky said:
I'm not getting satisfied with Euclid's concept of straight line and shortest distance b/w to given points is a Straight line,At present I'm studying "The Elements".

By today's standards, Euclid wasn't entirely rigorous. In 1899, Hilbert gave a course on axiomatic geometry from his own formulation. Whereas Euclid describes geometry in 5 axioms, Hilbert does the same with no less than 20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_axioms

Euclid relied more heavily on common sense in proofs. Granted, all proofs require an amount of common sense, it's clear that Hilbert assumed even less.

pjunky said:

As for Euclid's definition I.4 of the straight line, it is NOTORIOUSLY vague, so you are not alone.

(For the a-culturalists here on PF, check out the link)

wow..! thank you all people
I think I'm alone but so many are here,its great.
I'm very confusing with dimension concept too,not satisfying with concept of 3rd Dimension.

1. What is Euclid's concept of straight line?

Euclid's concept of straight line is a fundamental concept in geometry, stating that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points. It is a one-dimensional figure that extends infinitely in both directions.

2. Why do we need an alternative to Euclid's concept of straight line?

While Euclid's concept of straight line is widely accepted and used in mathematics, it has limitations when applied in other fields such as physics and engineering. It does not account for curved lines or non-Euclidean geometries, which are essential in understanding the natural world.

3. What is the alternative to Euclid's concept of straight line?

The alternative to Euclid's concept of straight line is the concept of geodesics, which takes into account the curvature of space and represents the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface.

4. How is the concept of geodesics different from Euclid's concept of straight line?

While Euclid's concept of straight line is based on the idea of a perfectly straight and infinite line, the concept of geodesics considers the curvature of space and allows for non-straight lines. Geodesics are also used to represent the shortest distance between two points on curved surfaces, such as the Earth's surface.

5. What are some applications of the alternative to Euclid's concept of straight line?

The concept of geodesics has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and geography. It is used in the study of gravity, the movement of objects on curved surfaces, and in the development of navigation systems. It also plays a role in understanding the structure of the universe and the behavior of light in space.