Understanding 3D Coordinate Rotations with Euler Angles

In summary, the angular velocity with respect to the body-fixed frame is given by the antisymmetric matrix ##\hat{\Omega}'=\hat{D}^{\text{T}} \dot{\hat{D}}##.
QuasarBoy543298
I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept. we use 3 rotations to transfer our regular cartesian coordinates (3 x,y,z unit vectors) to other 3 unit vectors. each rotation is associated with an angle. so far I'm good.
but now I saw in Landau's and Lifshitz's "mechanics" book this thing (picture attached).
I couldn't understand where omega is and what we are trying to do.
Is omega the rotation of the new system in the old system, or just some rotation vector who is constant in the new system that we are trying to express in the old system ? (so far that makes more sense since we got a result who is dependent only on Euler angles and their time derivatives)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
The angular rates are not the same as the rotated Euler angles. In the rotated Euler angles, the second and third rotations are in the intermediate axis systems that are the result of the prior rotations. That is not true of the angular rotation rates. They are all instantaneous rates measured in the original axis system (because all the theoretical rotations are infinitesimal and no coordinate change has actually happened).

Last edited:
You have the rotation matrix ##\hat{D}## as a function of the Euler Angles, which themselves are functions of time. My convention here is that
$$\vec{e}_k'=\vec{e}_j D_{jk},$$
where ##\vec{e}_j## are the three Cartesian basis vectors fixed in an inertial frame of reference ("lab frame") and ##\vec{e}_k'## are the three Cartesian basis vectors of the body-fixed reference frame.

Then the components of the angular velocity with respect to the body-fixed frame is given by the antisymmetric matrix ##\hat{\Omega}'=\hat{D}^{\text{T}} \dot{\hat{D}} ##. The matrix elements are related to ##\vec{\omega}'## by ##\Omega_{jk}'=-\epsilon_{jkl} \omega_l'##. Since ##\vec{\omega}## is a vector its components wrt. the lab frame are given by ##\vec{\omega}=\hat{D} \vec{\omega}'##.

To evaluate ##\vec{\omega}'## (or ##\vec{\omega}##, depending on which one you like to know), I recommend the use of a computer algebra system like Mathematica since it's really a cumbersome calculation doing just boring derivatives and matrix multiplications. I did it once in the theory lecture on mechanics, and then I disliked the rigid-body theory although it's a fascinating topic ;-)).

Likes weirdoguy

1. What are Euler angles and how are they used in 3D coordinate rotations?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that represent the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are used to describe the rotation of an object around its three axes, typically denoted as roll, pitch, and yaw.

2. How do Euler angles differ from other methods of representing 3D rotations?

Euler angles are one of several methods used to represent 3D rotations, including rotation matrices and quaternions. Unlike rotation matrices, which use a 3x3 matrix to represent rotation, Euler angles use three separate angles. Quaternions, on the other hand, use four numbers to represent rotation and have certain advantages over Euler angles, such as avoiding the problem of gimbal lock.

3. What is gimbal lock and how does it affect Euler angles?

Gimbal lock is a phenomenon that occurs when one of the axes of rotation aligns with another, causing the loss of one degree of freedom. This can happen with Euler angles when the pitch angle is close to 90 degrees, making it difficult to accurately represent rotations in that direction.

4. How are Euler angles calculated and how do they affect the final rotation?

Euler angles can be calculated using a combination of trigonometric functions and rotation matrices. The order in which the rotations are applied (e.g. roll, pitch, yaw) can affect the final result, as well as the choice of reference frame. It is important to understand the conventions used when working with Euler angles to ensure accurate calculations.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding 3D coordinate rotations with Euler angles?

Euler angles are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering to represent and manipulate the orientation of objects. They are also used in motion capture and animation to create realistic movements of 3D characters. Understanding Euler angles is crucial for accurately representing and manipulating 3D rotations in these fields.