Why does the Euler approximation fail for the Airy or Stokes equation?

In summary, Euler's method does not converge quickly for some problems, and may need to use a simpler analytic solution to get started.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
For the DE ##\frac{dy}{dx} = y^2-x,## the long term behaviour of the Euler approximations with step sizes ##h = 0.5, 0.25, 0.125## with initial condition ##(-1,0)## all tend to ##\infty##. However, the long term behaviour of the actual solution with the same initial condition actually tends to ##-\infty##.

What would I call this failure——failure of self-consistency, failure of convergence, failure of structural stability, or failure of stability?
Relevant Equations
N/A
I had thought it would be failure of structural stability since in structural stability qualitative behavior of the trajectories is unaffected by small perturbations, and here, even tiny deviations using ##h## values resulted in huge effects. However, apparently that's not the case, and I'm not sure which failure this falls under...

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I cannot see a solution which tends to ##-\infty ##
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y'=y^2-x+
Not with ## y(0) = 1 ##, but with ## y(0) = -1 ## it does...
solved.PNG

Python:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from scipy.integrate import odeint

# ODE
def odeFunc(y, x):
  return y * y - x

# Initial conditions
y_0 = -1.0

start = 0.0
stop = 5.0

step = 0.001

listOfXValues = np.arange(start, stop, step)

arrayOfYValues = odeint(odeFunc, y_0, listOfXValues)

# Plot results
fig = plt.figure(1, figsize=(8, 16))

ax1 = fig.add_subplot(311)
ax1.plot(listOfXValues, arrayOfYValues[:,0])
ax1.set_xlabel('x')
ax1.set_ylabel('y')

plt.tight_layout()
plt.show()

You have correctly described the phenomenon i.e. a small perturbation of the initial conditions resulting in a large difference in the trajectory of the solution, but this is not a description of structural instability. Revise the definitions and it should be clearer which one fits.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
@fresh_42 and @pbuk
Thank you for your inputs! If I understood the materials fresh_42 provided me right, would it then just be a failure of stability? In fact, I don't think I see the words self-consistency, or convergence thrown around in those documents a whole lot, and googling didn't particularly help me either.

I am not sure we are heading in the right direction here, and IMHO that's because the question (as you have stated it) is misleading. The reason that you end up with the wrong trajectory as ## x \to \infty ## is nothing to do with any long-term instability of the DE, it is due to what goes wrong with the very first step!

To understand this, look at the expression for the error term in Euler's method (compare the Taylor series expansion with the first term that is not included in Euler's method) and calculate this at (0 + h, -1).

Then revise radius of convergence.

Edit: whilst radius of convergence is a good thing to revise, I'm not sure it helps you answer the question. But again, I don't think it's a very helpful question - if the learning point is supposed to be that Euler's method converges very slowly then there are much better ways of teaching that; I would integrate cos(x) in the region of (0, 0) where it is easy to plot the exact solution and show how the not particularly rapid reduction of the slope from 1 means that Euler's method is doomed to failure even over a fairly short interval.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and fresh_42
Could it be an example of what is called a "stiff" differential equation?
https://www.mathworks.com/company/newsletters/articles/stiff-differential-equations.html

I think there may be some ambiguity in the use of the word "stability" in this discussion. In a stiff DE it's not the solution but the numerical algorithm which is unstable. Euler's method does not do well on such equations, and predictor-corrector methods do much better.

This problem would not usually be considered stiff but nearly all systems look stiff when you are using Euler's method! That is why I suggested calculating the error term
## y' = y^2 - x \implies y''(x) = 2yy' - 1 = 2y^3 - 2xy - 1 ## so at (0, -1) we have the error term ## O(\frac{-h^2}{2!}y''(0)) = O(\frac{3h^2}{2}) ##. So with a step size of 0.5 our first step takes us to (0, -0.5) with a y error of ≈0.375! ##
But why not choose a function with a simpler analytic solution and just consider the first couple of steps to show this point?

^I thought the initial condition was (-1,0)
it has a simple analytic solution
let u'+y u=0
to obtain the Airy equation or the Stokes equation
^^
stiff is subjective
this does not appear to be particularly stiff
Euler's methods is pretty unstable

lurflurf said:
^I thought the initial condition was (-1,0)
Oops, I must have misread it - doesn't change anything much though, the step size is still far too large (the first step with size 0.5 is now (-0.5, 0.5) with a y-error of ≈ 0.125).
Figure_1.png

lurflurf said:
it has a simple analytic solution
let u'+y u=0
to obtain the Airy equation or the Stokes equation
^^
Not sure I follow this, are you saying make a substitution ## u = y' ##? I get $$ u' = y'' = 2yy' - 1 $$ $$ u' - 2yu = -1$$ which is not quite an Airy equation.

I checked those flows at values for ##x \sim 20## on two different websites. It seems that the algorithm depends on implementation, too, i.e. differs the farther away from the initial value we get.

^^
u'+u y=0
u'=-u y
so
(u'+u y)'=0
u'+(u y)'=0
u''+u'y+u y'=0
but
u'=-u y
so
u''+(-u y)y+u y'=0
u''+u(-y^2+y')=0
u''+(-y^2+y')u=0
but
y'=y^2-x
so
u''+(-y^2+y^2-x)u=0
u''-x u==0
the Airy equation or the Stokes equation

Likes pbuk

1. What is Euler Approximation Failure?

Euler Approximation Failure, also known as the Euler Method Failure, is a phenomenon that occurs when using Euler's method to approximate the solution to a differential equation. It is a type of numerical error that results in inaccurate solutions.

2. How does Euler's method lead to approximation failure?

Euler's method uses small time intervals to approximate the solution to a differential equation. However, as the time intervals get smaller, the error between the approximate solution and the actual solution increases. This error accumulates and can lead to significant differences between the approximate and actual solution, resulting in approximation failure.

3. What are the consequences of Euler Approximation Failure?

Euler Approximation Failure can lead to significantly inaccurate results, which can have serious consequences in scientific and engineering applications. It can also cause instability in the numerical solution, making it unpredictable and unreliable.

4. How can Euler Approximation Failure be avoided?

To avoid Euler Approximation Failure, one can use smaller time intervals or switch to a different numerical method, such as the Runge-Kutta method, which is more accurate and less prone to error. It is also important to carefully choose the initial conditions and step size when using Euler's method.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Euler Approximation Failure?

Yes, there are many real-world examples where Euler Approximation Failure can occur. One example is in weather forecasting, where small errors in the initial conditions can lead to significant differences in the predicted weather. Another example is in circuit analysis, where approximation failure can result in unstable systems and errors in calculations.