1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Constant

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to verify an integral representation of the Euler constant:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{1-e^{-t}}{t}[/itex]dt-[itex]\int^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][[itex]\frac{e^{-t}}{t}[/itex]dt=[itex]\gamma[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK, I'm supposed to use this fact (which I have already proved):

[itex]\sum^{N}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{1-(1-t)^{n}}{t}[/itex]dt.

Then I am supposed to rescale t so that I can apply the follow definition of the exponential function:

lim as n-->infinity of (1+[itex]\frac{z}{n}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}[/itex][itex]\frac{z^{k}}{k!}[/itex]=e[itex]^{z}[/itex]

I'm not seeing how I can use the first fact at all...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    Someone has to have an idea on this one...

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume that should be a capital N in your integral expression for [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n}[/itex]:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1 - (1-t)^N}{t}dt[/tex]
    Assuming that is the case, you could let [itex]u = Nt[/itex]; then your integral becomes
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{N} \frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u} du[/tex]
    and you could break this apart as [itex]\int_{0}^{1} + \int_{1}^{N}[/itex]. Dunno if this will get you anywhere but it seems promising.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    Hmm... OK, this makes sense. What do you mean with the last part about splitting the integral up?

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I suggested that because one of the integrals you'll eventually need has 0 and 1 as its endpoints:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - e^{-t}}{t} dt[/tex]
    So if you can justify interchanging the order of limit and integration,
    [tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
    will give you what you need.

That leaves you with the part from 1 to N:
    [tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
    which you could further split up as
    [tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1}{u}du - \int_{1}^{N}\frac{\left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
    Obviously the term on the left will be useful, given the definition of [itex]\gamma[/itex]. And the term on the right looks like it might converge as [itex]N \rightarrow \infty[/itex] to one of the other integrals you need, although that will also need to be proved.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    OK, I've been able to work this out successfully. I'm stuck with two small things:

(1) How can I justify switching the order of integration and summation, as you mentioned?

(2) How do I show that the last integral converges?

8. Oct 13, 2012 #7
    Never mind, I was able to get the integral to converge. Now my only questions is what justifies switching the order? I know this is a subtle point, but I'd like to understand it.

9. Oct 13, 2012 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A sufficient condition for switching the order is if the convergence is uniform, i.e., if
    [tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}[/tex]
    converges uniformly in [itex][0,1][/itex]. This in turn will be true if and only if
    [tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N[/tex]
    converges uniformly in [itex][0,1][/itex].

10. Oct 13, 2012 #9
    Hmm, ok, great. That makes sense. How can I show that this is true? Weirestrass M-test?

11. Oct 13, 2012 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook