Verifying an Integral Representation of the Euler Constant

In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking for here...)Hmm, ok, great. That makes sense. How can I show that this is true? Weirestrass M-test?You might try Dini's theorem, if the hypotheses are satisfied.
the_kid

Homework Statement

I need to verify an integral representation of the Euler constant:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{1-e^{-t}}{t}[/itex]dt-[itex]\int^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][[itex]\frac{e^{-t}}{t}[/itex]dt=[itex]\gamma[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I'm supposed to use this fact (which I have already proved):

[itex]\sum^{N}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{1-(1-t)^{n}}{t}[/itex]dt.

Then I am supposed to rescale t so that I can apply the follow definition of the exponential function:

lim as n-->infinity of (1+[itex]\frac{z}{n}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}[/itex][itex]\frac{z^{k}}{k!}[/itex]=e[itex]^{z}[/itex]

I'm not seeing how I can use the first fact at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone has to have an idea on this one...

I assume that should be a capital N in your integral expression for [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n}[/itex]:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1 - (1-t)^N}{t}dt[/tex]
Assuming that is the case, you could let [itex]u = Nt[/itex]; then your integral becomes
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{N} \frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u} du[/tex]
and you could break this apart as [itex]\int_{0}^{1} + \int_{1}^{N}[/itex]. Dunno if this will get you anywhere but it seems promising.

jbunniii said:
I assume that should be a capital N in your integral expression for [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n}[/itex]:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} \frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1 - (1-t)^N}{t}dt[/tex]
Assuming that is the case, you could let [itex]u = Nt[/itex]; then your integral becomes
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n} = \int_{0}^{N} \frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u} du[/tex]
and you could break this apart as [itex]\int_{0}^{1} + \int_{1}^{N}[/itex]. Dunno if this will get you anywhere but it seems promising.

Hmm... OK, this makes sense. What do you mean with the last part about splitting the integral up?

the_kid said:
Hmm... OK, this makes sense. What do you mean with the last part about splitting the integral up?

Well, I suggested that because one of the integrals you'll eventually need has 0 and 1 as its endpoints:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - e^{-t}}{t} dt[/tex]
So if you can justify interchanging the order of limit and integration,
[tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
will give you what you need.

That leaves you with the part from 1 to N:
[tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
which you could further split up as
[tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1}{u}du - \int_{1}^{N}\frac{\left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
Obviously the term on the left will be useful, given the definition of [itex]\gamma[/itex]. And the term on the right looks like it might converge as [itex]N \rightarrow \infty[/itex] to one of the other integrals you need, although that will also need to be proved.

jbunniii said:
Well, I suggested that because one of the integrals you'll eventually need has 0 and 1 as its endpoints:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - e^{-t}}{t} dt[/tex]
So if you can justify interchanging the order of limit and integration,
[tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
will give you what you need.

That leaves you with the part from 1 to N:
[tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
which you could further split up as
[tex]\int_{1}^{N}\frac{1}{u}du - \int_{1}^{N}\frac{\left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}du[/tex]
Obviously the term on the left will be useful, given the definition of [itex]\gamma[/itex]. And the term on the right looks like it might converge as [itex]N \rightarrow \infty[/itex] to one of the other integrals you need, although that will also need to be proved.

OK, I've been able to work this out successfully. I'm stuck with two small things:

(1) How can I justify switching the order of integration and summation, as you mentioned?

(2) How do I show that the last integral converges?

Never mind, I was able to get the integral to converge. Now my only questions is what justifies switching the order? I know this is a subtle point, but I'd like to understand it.

the_kid said:
Never mind, I was able to get the integral to converge. Now my only questions is what justifies switching the order? I know this is a subtle point, but I'd like to understand it.

A sufficient condition for switching the order is if the convergence is uniform, i.e., if
[tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1 - \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N}{u}[/tex]
converges uniformly in [itex][0,1][/itex]. This in turn will be true if and only if
[tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} \left(1 - \frac{u}{N}\right)^N[/tex]
converges uniformly in [itex][0,1][/itex].

Hmm, ok, great. That makes sense. How can I show that this is true? Weirestrass M-test?

1. What is the Euler constant?

The Euler constant, denoted by the symbol γ, is a mathematical constant that appears in many different areas of mathematics. It is also known as the Euler-Mascheroni constant, named after the mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Lorenzo Mascheroni.

2. What is an integral representation of the Euler constant?

An integral representation of the Euler constant is a way of expressing the constant as an integral, or area under a curve. It is given by the following formula: γ = ∫1 (1/ln x) dx. This means that the Euler constant is equal to the integral of the function (1/ln x) from 1 to infinity.

3. Why is it important to verify an integral representation of the Euler constant?

Verifying an integral representation of the Euler constant is important because it allows us to confirm the validity of the formula and ensure that it accurately represents the constant. It also helps us to understand the connection between the constant and the integral, and how they are related.

4. How do scientists verify an integral representation of the Euler constant?

There are several methods that scientists use to verify an integral representation of the Euler constant. These include mathematical proofs, numerical approximations, and computer simulations. They may also compare the results of the integral with other known values of the Euler constant to ensure consistency.

5. What are some applications of the Euler constant and its integral representation?

The Euler constant and its integral representation have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of number theory, complex analysis, and differential equations. They also appear in various physical phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids and the distribution of prime numbers. In addition, the integral representation of the Euler constant is used in numerical methods for solving mathematical problems.