Transforming Euler's Equation to Constant Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of the Euler equation using the change of variable u=ln(x). The equation is normalized and the functions P(x) and Q(x) are defined. The process of using the change of variable is explained and the relationship between d/dx and d/du is discussed. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the second derivative and the use of this transformation in the equation.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi. I have this problem, which says: The equation [tex]x^2y''+pxy'+qy=0[/tex] (p and q constants) is called Euler equation. Demonstrate that the change of variable [tex]u=\ln (x)[/tex] transforms the equation to one at constant coefficients.

I haven't done much. I just normalized the equation: [tex]y''+\displaystyle\frac{p}{x}y'+\displaystyle\frac{q}{x^2}y=0[/tex]

Then [tex]P(x)=\displaystyle\frac{p}{x}[/tex] and [tex]Q(x)=\displaystyle\frac{q}{x^2}[/tex]

What should I do now? I thought instead of doing [tex] x= e^u[/tex],
then [tex]y''+ \displaystyle\frac{p}{e^u}y' + \displaystyle\frac{q}{e^{2u}} y=0[/tex] may be this is the right way, cause it seems more like following the problem suggestion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is d/dx in terms of d/du?

[tex]u=\ln (x) \rightarrow du=\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

Now find out what d^2/dx^2 is in terms of d^2/dx^2 and d/du.

I see the relation, [tex]u=\ln (x) \rightarrow du=\frac{1}{x}dx \rightarrow d^2u=\frac{1}{x^2}d^2x[/tex]
Right?
I think I got it. Thanks.

I thought I got it but no :P
How do I use the fact of this derivatives appears as the coefficients in the equation?

You've done you're second derivative wrong, use the product rule.

[tex]d^2u=\frac{1}{x^2}dx+\frac{1}{x}d^2x[/tex] Thats it?

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation, also known as the Euler identity, is a mathematical formula that states the relationship between the five fundamental mathematical constants: 0, 1, π, e, and i. It is written as e + 1 = 0.

2. Why is Euler's equation important?

Euler's equation is considered one of the most beautiful and profound equations in mathematics. It relates seemingly unrelated constants and has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

3. What does it mean to transform Euler's equation to constant coefficients?

Transforming Euler's equation to constant coefficients means rewriting it in a form where the coefficients of the variables are constant. This is often done to simplify the equation and make it more manageable for further calculations or analysis.

4. How is Euler's equation transformed to constant coefficients?

To transform Euler's equation to constant coefficients, we can use the properties of logarithms and the identity e = -1. By taking the natural logarithm of both sides, we can convert the exponential term into a logarithmic form with constant coefficients.

5. What are the applications of transforming Euler's equation to constant coefficients?

The transformation of Euler's equation to constant coefficients is commonly used in solving differential equations, as it simplifies the equation and makes it easier to find a solution. It is also used in various fields of engineering, physics, and mathematics for modeling and analysis purposes.