Proving Euler Equations and Solving Complex Numbers in Signal and Systems Course

so i think it is a good way and indeed that is what my book says...but...if we want to prove it what is the way?
dervast
Hi i am reading about signal and systems course . What i want to prove is not a problem that i have to solve is something that the books take for granted and i want to prove it so i ll be able at exams to reprove so i won't have to remember it, (if u don't believe me i can give u the course's pdf that states what i say. Btw i posted here cause i don't know where else i should post problems like that

Homework Statement

I want to prove why
e^(-j*(theta))=cos(theta)-jsin(theta) (1)
i know that e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta) Why the minus sign affects the sin and not the cos
also i want to find out why cos(theta)=1/2[e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta)] (2)
My teachers book say that these things exist. It proves number (2) using Eulers equation.
I know that the angle theta can be found from theta=1/sin(y/(sqrt(x^2+y^2))
theta:is the angle of the complex number

Homework Equations

z=x+jy
z=e*e^j(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve the euler equation like that
e^j*theta=cos(theta)+j(sin(theta))
cos(theta)=e^j*theta-j(sin(theta))
I have tried to convert the j(sin(theta)) to something that has inside e^j*theta or something like that but i have failed :(
I am really very week converting exponential numbers to equations that include cosins and sins. If u have a good book for that that i can read it online please suggest it to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Euler equation:
e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)

dervast said:
I want to prove why
e^(-j*(theta))=cos(theta)-jsin(theta) (1)
i know that e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta) Why the minus sign affects the sin and not the cos.

First of all:
e^(-j*(theta)) = e^(j*(-theta)) =... <--- what is the result here using the Euler equation?

Secondly, you will need to show
sin(-x) = -sin(x) and
cos(-x) = cos(x)
In order to show that, use the definition of sin(x) and cos(x), see here

dervast said:
also i want to find out why cos(theta)=1/2[e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta)] (2)
My teachers book say that these things exist. It proves number (2) using Eulers equation.

For getting equation (2):
Calculate e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta) using
equation (1) e^(-j*(theta))=cos(theta)-jsin(theta) and
the Euler equation e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)

Last edited:
You can, by the way, derive the Euler equation
[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]
By looking at the Taylor's series expansions for the functions

[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ \frac{x^2}{2}+ \frac{x^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot +\frac{x^n}{n!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Replace x by [itex]i\theta[/itex] and remember that i2= -1, i3= -i, i4= 1, i5= -i, etc. You get
[tex]e^{i\theta}= 1+ i\theta- \frac{\theta^2}{2!}- i\frac{\theta^3}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Separate that into "real" and "imaginary" parts:
[tex]e^{i\theta}= (1-\frac{\theta^2}{2!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}- \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n\frac{\theta^{2n}}{(2n)!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot)+ i(\theta- \frac{\theta^3}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^5}{5!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n\frac{\theta^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!)}+\cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex]
and compare those to the Taylor's series for sine and cosine of [itex]\theta[/itex]:
[tex]sin(\theta)= \theta- \frac{\theta}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^5}{5!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^{2n}\frac{\theta^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
and
[tex]cos(\theta)= 1- \frac{\theta^2}{2!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n \frac{\theta^{2n}}{(2n)!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Sorry, but I just cannot force myself to write "j" instead of "i"!

Likes justin001
HallsofIvy said:
It seems unnatural in some way doesn't it?

Edgardo said:
Euler equation:
e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)

First of all:
e^(-j*(theta)) = e^(j*(-theta)) =... <--- what is the result here using the Euler equation?
e^(j*(-theta))=cos(-theta)+jsin(-theta) and now i have to prove the next step u mention
Secondly, you will need to show
sin(-x) = -sin(x) and
cos(-x) = cos(x)
In order to show that, use the definition of sin(x) and cos(x), see here
I think that this image found in the site u mentioned
6bf16b97ce1b4c86ffa1ed55c3fdc25f.png

show that sin(-x) =(...lot of stuff i don't type)(-x)^(2*n+1) (2*n+1 is odd which means that the minus sign gets out of the parenthesis = -...(x)^(2*n+1)
for the cosin now
x^2n which means that (-x)^2*n=(x)^2n
this is the way i have thought to prove that sin(-x)=-sinx and cos(-x)=cos(x)
Am i correct?

For getting equation (2):
Calculate e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta) using
equation (1) e^(-j*(theta))=cos(theta)-jsin(theta) and
the Euler equation e^j(theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)
Ok thanks a lot let me try it
e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)+cos(theta)-jsin(theta) =2*cos(theta)=>
cos(theta)=[e^(j*theta)+e^(-j*theta)]/2 so i think i have done it with your help guys..please fix everything that i have done wrongly

HallsofIvy said:
You can, by the way, derive the Euler equation
[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]
By looking at the Taylor's series expansions for the functions

[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ \frac{x^2}{2}+ \frac{x^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot +\frac{x^n}{n!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Replace x by [itex]i\theta[/itex] and remember that i2= -1, i3= -i, i4= 1, i5= -i, etc. You get
[tex]e^{i\theta}= 1+ i\theta- \frac{\theta^2}{2!}- i\frac{\theta^3}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Separate that into "real" and "imaginary" parts:
[tex]e^{i\theta}= (1-\frac{\theta^2}{2!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}- \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n\frac{\theta^{2n}}{(2n)!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot)+ i(\theta- \frac{\theta^3}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^5}{5!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n\frac{\theta^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!)}+\cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex]
and compare those to the Taylor's series for sine and cosine of [itex]\theta[/itex]:
[tex]sin(\theta)= \theta- \frac{\theta}{3!}+ \frac{\theta^5}{5!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^{2n}\frac{\theta^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
and
[tex]cos(\theta)= 1- \frac{\theta^2}{2!}+ \frac{\theta^4}{4!}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n \frac{\theta^{2n}}{(2n)!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

The way u have just mentioned is for remembering to prove why
e^j*theta=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)

dervast, your calculations are correct.
As an exercise, you could try expressing sin(theta) in terms of the e-functions.

Edgardo said:
dervast, your calculations are correct.
As an exercise, you could try expressing sin(theta) in terms of the e-functions.
Ok let me try it
e^(j*theta)-e^(-j*theta)=cos(theta)+jsin(theta)-cos(theta)+jsin(theta)=>
2jsin(theta)=e^(j*theta)-e^(-j*theta)
sin(theta)=[e^(j*theta)-e^(-j*theta)]/2j

That's correct.

Hootenanny said:
It seems unnatural in some way doesn't it?

Yes it does! I thought I would be stupid in thinking that as well, and perhaps I only thought so because I was accustomed to that notation, but now that I know people agree with me I feel much better :)

Which physicist introduced j and disrespected Euler!

1. What are the Euler equations?

The Euler equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in a 3-dimensional space. They are named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler who first derived them in the 18th century.

2. What is the significance of proving the Euler equations?

Proving the Euler equations is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of fluids, which is essential in many areas of science and engineering. It also allows for the development of more accurate models and simulations of fluid flow.

3. How are the Euler equations derived?

The Euler equations are derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid in terms of its velocity, pressure, and density. The Euler equations are obtained by assuming that the fluid is inviscid, meaning that there is no friction or viscosity present.

4. What are some applications of the Euler equations?

The Euler equations have a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, weather forecasting, oceanography, and gas dynamics. They are also used in the design of aircraft, ships, and other vehicles that move through fluids.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euler equations?

Yes, the Euler equations have some limitations, as they do not take into account the effects of viscosity and thermal conductivity. This means that they are not suitable for studying highly turbulent or compressible flows. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, are used.