1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler force ?

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    Hello! I am currently starting my thesis, and I would be pleased if you could help me.
    As it is an ficticious force for non inertial frame, the Euler force affects every movement measured from the surface of the Earth.
    But, it is related to the angular acceleration changes of our planet, so, Does it affect to a plane?
    I mean, angular acceleration changes affect experiments that take place on the surface.
    Sorry for my English! I know I am not good explaining myself.
    Thank you for your replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Euler force is related to angular acceleration itself.

The angular acceleration of the Earth is tiny, and negligible in most applications.

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    Thank you for yout answer!
    Yeah, I know that the angular acceleration is tiny, but I have to mention every force that act on a plane, including fictious forces.
    Would you say that a plane is affected by the Euler Force?
    Because the plane is not on the surface of the Earth, and this Euler forces would not affect because the plane is not ON a inertial frame wouldn't day?
    I am a little bit confused

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the reference frame of the Earth? You can pick some other frame where the Euler force on the plane is huge. But in the frame of the Earth it's like nothing. Compute it and see.

6. Dec 17, 2014 #5
    Yeah, every force is measured from the surface of the Earth. This is, the angular acceleration of the Earth acts on the measurer, not on the plane, so I don't know if enumerate it or not, because the Euler force doesn't affect to the plane.
    But I am not sure about my afirmations.

7. Dec 17, 2014 #6
    Is the Earth's rotation accelerating? It seems pretty constant to me.

8. Dec 17, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The angular acceleration of the chosen reference frame determines the Euler force on all objects in an analysis based on that frame.

9. Dec 17, 2014 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rotation is changing negligibly, due to tidal torques, seasonal mass redistribution etc.

10. Dec 17, 2014 #9
    It has a little bit acceleration, but it is extremely tiny. You can search "Tidal acceleration". The Tidal forces that are caused by the Moon are decreasing in a very very small quantity the rotation frequency of the Earth. So, the fictious force to compensate this effect if we make experiments on the surface of the Earth is called the "Euler Force"
    But I don't know if it act on planes, which are not on the surface :L

Thank you for the answer!

11. Dec 17, 2014 #10
    Thank you! That was one of my options. I was so confused because the definition of the Euler Force. As it's based on the acceleration of the Earth, I did not know if it affects on objects on the surface and in the air in the same way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook