Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler-Lagrange eqns confusion

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    I have a Lagrangian [tex]L = \frac{R^2}{z^2} ( -\dot{t}^2 +\dot{x}^2 +\dot{y}^2 +\dot{z}^2)[/tex] and I want to find the Euler-Lagrange equations [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} = \frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/tex]
    I'm fine with the LHS and the partial differentiation on the RHS, but when it comes to the [tex]\frac{d}{ds} [/tex] I'm not sure which coordinates I'm supposed to consider as a function of s.

Is it all of them (ie t, x, y, z, and their derivatives)
    Or is it only the one I'm doing the equation for (so for the z-equation that's just z and its derivative)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider the RHS of the z equation in two steps. First step: What is

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}}?[/tex]

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    [tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\dot{z}[/tex]

5. May 23, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So

[tex]\frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}} = \frac{d}{ds} \left( \frac{2R^2}{z^2}\dot{z} \right) = ? [/tex]

6. May 23, 2010 #5
    Well this is it - I don't know what should be considered a function of s.

If it's just z-dot then [tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\ddot{z}[/tex]

If it's z-dot & z then [tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\ddot{z} - \frac{4R^2}{z^3}\dot{z}^2[/tex]

7. May 23, 2010 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If [itex]z[/itex] weren't a function of [itex]s[/itex], then [itex]\dot{z}[/itex] would always be zero.

8. May 23, 2010 #7
    oops, haha good point. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook