1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler-Lagrange equation for paraboloid plane

1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    I have a classical mechanics question I couldn't conclude. The reason seems to be mathematical. It's this:
    There's a paraboloid shaped plane of mass M, which is standing on a frictionless surface and can slide freely. It's surface is [tex]y=ax^2[/tex]. A point mass m is place on the plane. Solve the Euler-Lagrange equations of the system for little mass.

My (unsuccessful) solution is as follows:

I chose [tex]x_m[/tex] as the x (horizontal) coordiante of point mass, and for sliding, plane it's [tex]x_M[/tex]. I defined another coordinate for point mass: [tex]x[/tex] is the horizontal distance of point mass from the center (or bottom) of the parabol. So, coordinates of m are
    [tex]x_m = x_M + x[/tex]
    [tex]y_m = ax^2[/tex]
    so velocities are
    [tex]\dot{x_m} = \dot{x_M} + \dot{x}[/tex]
    [tex]y_m = a2x\dot{x}[/tex]

So kinetic energy of the system is:
    [tex]T = \frac{m\dot{x_m}^2}{2} + \frac{M\dot{x_M}^2}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]T = \frac{m ( \dot{x_M}^2 + \dot{x}^2 + 2\dot{x}\dot{x_M} + 4a^2x^2\dot{x}^2 )}{2} + \frac{M\dot{x_M}^2}{2}[/tex]
    and potential is
    [tex]V = mgy = mgax^2[/tex]

[tex]{\cal L} = T-V[/tex]

Now, Euler-Lagrange equations are:
    (1) [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial {\cal L}}{\partial \dot{x_M}} - \frac{\partial {\cal L}}{\partial x_M}[/tex]
    (2) [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial {\cal L}}{\partial \dot{x}} - \frac{\partial {\cal L}}{\partial x}[/tex]

The solution of the first one yields (of course, if I done the math correctly):
    [tex]\ddot{x_M}(m+M) + \ddot{x}m = 0[/tex]
    and second is
    [tex]\ddot{x} + \ddot{x_M} + 4a^2x\dot{x}^2 4a^2x^2\ddot{x} + 2gax = 0[/tex]

I tried combining two solutions and got this non-linear differential equation:

[tex]\ddot{x}(1- \frac{m}{m+M} + 4a^2x^2) + 4a^2x\dot{x}^2 + 2gax = 0[/tex]

Maybe there was a mathematical mistake in my solution, maybe this differential equation could be solved with some tricks, or maybe I'm downright wrong by choosing such coordinates. I don't know.

Is there someone who can solve this question?
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?