1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Lagrange Equation

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Euler Lagrange Equation

Hi there ,
    I am missing a crucial point on the proof of Euler Lagrange equation , here is my question :
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{df}{dy^{'}}\right)=0[/tex] (Euler-Lagrange equation)

If the function "f" doesn't depend on x explicitly but implicitly and if y satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equation then ;
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

Why is that so ? While ,supposedly , f is dependent to 3 variables : x,y,y' how van that statement be true ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    If the function [tex]f[/tex] doesn't depend on x explicitly then

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

and this has nothing to do with the

I don't understand what is the question :confused:

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    Still , the function f does depend on x through y and y' . That is why I asked basically .

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    That's why we use partial differention. Let

[tex]f\left(x,y(x),y'(x)\right)=x^2\,e^{y(x)}\,\ln{y'(x)}+\sin\left(x\,y(x)\right)[/tex]

then [itex]\frac{\partial\,f}{\partial\,x}[/itex] means

[tex]\frac{\partial\,f}{\partial\,x}=2\,x\,e^{y(x)}\,\ln{y'(x)}+y(x)\,\cos\left(x\,y(x)\right)[/tex]

i.e. you treat [tex]x,y(x),y'(x)[/tex] as independent variables.

6. Jan 20, 2008 #5
    Thanks for helping out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?