What is the Proof of the Euler Lagrange Equation?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of the Euler-Lagrange equation and the question of why, if the function "f" does not explicitly depend on x, the partial derivative of f with respect to x is equal to 0. The answer is that f still depends on x implicitly through y and y', which is why partial differentiation is used.
ercagpince
[SOLVED] Euler Lagrange Equation

Hi there ,
I am missing a crucial point on the proof of Euler Lagrange equation , here is my question :
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{df}{dy^{'}}\right)=0[/tex] (Euler-Lagrange equation)

If the function "f" doesn't depend on x explicitly but implicitly and if y satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equation then ;
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

Why is that so ? While ,supposedly , f is dependent to 3 variables : x,y,y' how van that statement be true ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the function [tex]f[/tex] doesn't depend on x explicitly then

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

and this has nothing to do with the

...and if y satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equation...

I don't understand what is the question :confused:

Still , the function f does depend on x through y and y' . That is why I asked basically .

That's why we use partial differention. Let

[tex]f\left(x,y(x),y'(x)\right)=x^2\,e^{y(x)}\,\ln{y'(x)}+\sin\left(x\,y(x)\right)[/tex]

then [itex]\frac{\partial\,f}{\partial\,x}[/itex] means

[tex]\frac{\partial\,f}{\partial\,x}=2\,x\,e^{y(x)}\,\ln{y'(x)}+y(x)\,\cos\left(x\,y(x)\right)[/tex]

i.e. you treat [tex]x,y(x),y'(x)[/tex] as independent variables.

Thanks for helping out!

What is the Euler Lagrange Equation?

The Euler Lagrange Equation is a mathematical equation used in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the functions that minimize or maximize a given functional, which is a function of another function.

What is the purpose of the Euler Lagrange Equation?

The purpose of the Euler Lagrange Equation is to find the function that satisfies a given set of constraints and optimizes a given functional. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to find the optimal path or trajectory of a system.

What is an example of using the Euler Lagrange Equation?

An example of using the Euler Lagrange Equation is in the Brachistochrone problem, which involves finding the path that a particle will take under the influence of gravity in the shortest amount of time. The solution to this problem is given by the Euler Lagrange Equation.

What are the limitations of the Euler Lagrange Equation?

The Euler Lagrange Equation is limited to finding the extremum of a functional, which means it cannot be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. It is also limited to problems that can be described by a single variable.

Why is the Euler Lagrange Equation important in the field of calculus of variations?

The Euler Lagrange Equation is important in the field of calculus of variations because it provides a general method for finding the optimal path or trajectory of a system. It is also used in the derivation of other important equations, such as the Hamiltonian equations in classical mechanics.