How Can I Understand Euler-Lagrange Equations in Physics?

In summary, I am having difficulty understanding these equations and I would appreciate any help I can get.
NYSportsguy
I'm taking a Physics class at Stanford U. and I am having difficulty understanding how to mathematically understand or translate the Euler-LaGrange equations of motion in both Classical and Quantum Field Theory.

Any sort of English translation, background or hinting as to what type of math I should study to interpret and understand these equations would be very much of help to me. Thanks.

E-Mail: NYSPortsguy2084@gmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
PS- A little background information as to how and why these equations were developed and used for would help too.

Also - Why don't photons in light have mass? I find that hard to believe since they contain kinetic energy and have momentum when traveling in light. I would the since P = M * V, photons would contain mass. Also they knock electrons out of orbit based on then "Photoelectric Effect"...isn't that also proof of mass?

photons carry momentum that is determined from relativity relations: E^2 = (pc)^2+(mc^2)^2. The reason that they knock electrons out in the PE effect is because the electrons absorb he energy of the photon and go into an excited state. If this energy is enough to get the electron out of the work function well they can escape from the conductor. I am not sure if this is exactly right

That is right according to books EngageEngage. However I read somewhere that photon particles were "Bosnons" while electrons were called "Fermions". According to a book by Lisa Randall, she said that "Fermions" cannnot combine or occupy space with any other fermions or bosnons at the same time...so then why are photons ("Bosnons") able to br absorbed by "Fermions" ( in this case, electrons)?

NYSportsguy said:
That is right according to books EngageEngage.
Yes, that is "right according to books". But that was what you asked.

However I read somewhere that photon particles were "Bosnons" while electrons were called "Fermions". According to a book by Lisa Randall, she said that "Fermions" cannnot combine or occupy space with any other fermions or bosnons at the same time...so then why are photons ("Bosnons") able to br absorbed by "Fermions" ( in this case, electrons)?
("Boson" not "Bosnon"-named for the physician P.W. Bose.)
No, photons do not "occupy the same space" as an electron. The energy of the photon is absorbed by the photon and the photon no longer exists.

Thanks Halls of Ivy. Can someone please explain or give me some background on how to understand Euler-LaGrange equations and where they originated form and what they have to do with quantum and classical physics? I am interested in learning.

1. What are Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of differential equations used in the calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. They were developed by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler and French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century.

2. What is the significance of Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are essential in the field of physics and engineering, as they provide a powerful tool for solving problems involving optimization and dynamics. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and optimal control theory.

3. How do you derive Euler-Lagrange equations?

The derivation of Euler-Lagrange equations involves using the calculus of variations to find the stationary points of a functional. This is done by setting the functional's first variation to zero and solving the resulting differential equations. The resulting equations are the Euler-Lagrange equations.

4. What is the relationship between Euler-Lagrange equations and the Principle of Least Action?

The Principle of Least Action states that the path taken by a physical system between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is a functional of the system's Lagrangian. Euler-Lagrange equations are derived from this principle and provide a mathematical framework for finding the path of least action.

5. Can Euler-Lagrange equations be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, Euler-Lagrange equations can be extended to higher dimensions in the form of partial differential equations. They are commonly used in fields such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics, where the systems are described by functions of multiple variables.