Understanding the Chain Rule in Euler-Lagrange Equations

In summary, Euler-Lagrange equations are mathematical equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of physical systems. They are derived from the principle of least action and are applicable to all systems that can be described by a Lagrangian function. They are significant in providing a systematic approach to solving problems in classical mechanics and deepening our understanding of physical systems.
Lapidus
In this document, how do I get 3.2 on page 12? I assume it is the Euler-Lagrange equation given in 3.1 just rewritten. But how?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Any hints? I think in 3.1 they take the time derivative to get to 3.2. But I still can't see how that works out.

Well, then you need to go back to your calculus text and check the chain rule.

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L(q,\dot{q})}{\partial \dot{q}^{i}} =\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial \dot{q}^{i} \partial q^{j}} \frac{dq^{j}}{dt} + ... [/tex]

1. What are Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of a physical system in classical mechanics. They are named after the mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange and are essential for understanding the principles of variational calculus.

2. When are Euler-Lagrange equations used?

Euler-Lagrange equations are used to find the path that a system will take between two points in space and time. They are also used in the study of dynamics, such as in the fields of mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do Euler-Lagrange equations work?

Euler-Lagrange equations are derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the total action. The equations are obtained by taking the variation of the action with respect to the system's coordinates and velocities.

4. What is the significance of Euler-Lagrange equations?

The significance of Euler-Lagrange equations lies in their ability to provide a systematic and elegant approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. They allow for the derivation of equations of motion for complex systems and provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles governing the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are Euler-Lagrange equations applicable to all physical systems?

Yes, Euler-Lagrange equations are applicable to all physical systems that can be described by a Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical expression that contains information about the system's potential and kinetic energies. However, their application may be limited in systems that involve non-conservative forces or constraints.