Euler-Lagrange First Integral

Do you think you can write the summary now?In summary, in the conversation above, the concept of finding a "first integral" of the Euler-Lagrange equation is discussed. The first integral can be found by substituting the equation ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } = \frac { d }{ dx } \frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } ## into the Euler-Lagrange equation and simplifying. This substitution is only possible when the integrand f (y, y', x) does not depend explicitly on x. The result is that the last term on the right side of the equation is equal to zero, making calculations simpler. This concept
kq6up

Homework Statement

6.20 ** If you haven't done it, take a look at Problem 6.10. Here is a second situation in which you can find a "first integral" of the Euler—Lagrange equation: Argue that if it happens that the integrand f (y, y', x) does not depend explicitly on x, that is, f = f (y, y'), then

## \frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } y^{ \prime }+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime }##

Use the Euler—Lagrange equation to replace ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } ## on the right, and hence show that
## \frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { d }{ dx } \left( y^{ \prime }\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } \right) ##
This gives you the first integral

## f-y^{ \prime }\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } =const##

This can simplify several calculations. (See Problems 6.21 and 6.22 for examples.) In Lagrangian mechanics, where the independent variable is the time t, the corresponding result is that if the Lagrangian function is independent of t, then energy is conserved. (See Section 7.8.)

For reference here is 6.10:
6.10 * In general the integrand f (y, y', x) whose integral we wish to minimize depends on y, y', and x. There is a considerable simplification if f happens to be independent of y, that is, f = f (y', x). (This happened in both Examples 6.1 and 6.2, though in the latter the roles of x and y were interchanged.) Prove that when this happens, the Euler—Lagrange equation (6.13) reduces to the statement that
##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } =const## (6.42)
Since this is a first-order differential equation for y(x), while the Euler—Lagrange equation is generally second order, this is an important simplification and the result (6.42) is sometimes called a first integral of the Euler—Lagrange equation. In Lagrangian mechanics we'll see that this simplification arises when a component of momentum is conserved.

Homework Equations

Most are above, save the Euler-Lagrange. Here it is: ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } -\frac { d }{ dx } \frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{\prime} }=0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

All the steps of this problem are easy save one.

The first equation listed is just a total derivative of f.

When making the suggested substitution with the E-L equation I get:

##\frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { d }{ dx } \left( y^{ \prime }\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } \right)+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime } ##. This leads me to believe that last term on the right is equal to zero when compared to the equation I was supposed to get shown above. However, I have no clue how to show that. The last step to the QED is just a straightforward application of an integral. No problem there. Hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
## \frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } y^{ \prime }+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime }##

When making the suggested substitution with the E-L equation I get:

##\frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { d }{ dx } \left( y^{ \prime }\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } \right)+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime } ##.

You didn't quite make the substitution correctly. In the first equation above, you want to make a substitution for just ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y }##.

I believe I did. I simply inserted the left side of this equation into the first equation in your quote ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y }=\frac { d }{ dx } \frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{\prime} }##.

Thanks,
Chris

If you substitute ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y } = \frac { d }{ dx } \frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } ## into ## \frac { df }{ dx } =\left(\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y }\right) y^{ \prime }+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime }##,

I don't see how you get

##\frac { df }{ dx } =\frac { d }{ dx } \left( y^{ \prime }\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } \right)+\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } y^{ \prime \prime } ##.

In particular, how did you get the ##\frac{d}{dx}## operator to act on the product of ##y^{\prime}## and ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } ##?
Shouldn't ##\frac{d}{dx}## act on just ##\frac { \partial f }{ \partial y^{ \prime } } ##?

Likes 1 person
I see your point. Let me look at it again.

Chris

Thanks for the tip. Now I see with that parenthesis the book added, it expands into the equation I had using the product rule. Man, I don't know why I missed that.

Thanks,
Chris

OK, good.

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange First Integral?

The Euler-Lagrange First Integral, also known as the first integral of motion, is a concept in classical mechanics that represents a conserved quantity in a system. It is derived from the variational principle and is used to describe the motion of a system in terms of generalized coordinates and velocities.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange First Integral derived?

The Euler-Lagrange First Integral is derived by applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to the Lagrangian of a system, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies. The resulting equation represents a conserved quantity, also known as a constant of motion, for the system.

3. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange First Integral in classical mechanics?

The Euler-Lagrange First Integral is important in classical mechanics because it allows us to simplify the equations of motion for a system by reducing the number of variables. It also provides a way to identify conserved quantities, which can be useful in solving problems and understanding the behavior of a system.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange First Integral be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange First Integral can be applied to all physical systems that can be described using the Lagrangian formalism, including systems with multiple degrees of freedom and non-conservative forces. However, it is not applicable to quantum mechanical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange First Integral?

The Euler-Lagrange First Integral has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of celestial mechanics, such as the motion of planets and satellites. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as pendulums and rigid bodies. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as optics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.