Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Method in MATLAB

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Hi all

Im working on a systems dynamics problem which involves modelling a double pendulum, a chaotic system

I have a non linear system of 4 1st order differential equations which I need to solve using numerical methods in MATLAB

The methods are ode45, ode23s and euler method

Ive been able to model using the first 2 but am having problems with the euler method as this involves the variable 'h' in the euler algorithm and creating a unique function (as opposed to built in ones in matlab) and im not sure how to use loops and feval syntax and such

So for a system such as

x1' = f(x1,x2,x3,x4)
    x2' = f(x1,x2,x3,x4)
    x3' = f(x1,x2,x3,x4)
    x4' = f(x1,x2,x3,x4)

How do you solve in matlab using the euler algorithm, y(i+1) = y(i) + hf(y,i)
    my ultimate goal is to solve and graph points x1 and x3 with time (as these represent angles of the 2 pendulum branches)

Id appreciate any ideas on how to start with coding the euler algorithm in MATLAB and how apply user made functions, I don't know where to start......
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted