1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler theorem doubts

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    firstly, all d's i use will mean partial derivative 'do' because i don't have the font installed. sorry :(

please help me with these.. u gotta use euler theorem
    1. if z= xf(y/x) + g(y/x), show that x2(d2z/dx2) + 2xy(d2z/dxdy) + y2(d2z/dy2) =0
    2. if z= (xy)/(x-y), PT (d2z/dx2) + 2(d2z/dxdy) + (d2z/dy2) = 2/(x-y)

thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it's not a matrer of having "fonts" installed, just use LaTex with [ tex ] and [ /tex ] (without the spaces) beginning and ending. To see LaTex commands, click on any formula on this board.

I'm not sure which "Euler Theorem" you mean (there are many). It looks to me like like you only need to differentiate.

If z= xf(y/x)+ g(y/x), then
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= f(y/x)+ x f'(y/x)(-y/x^2)+ g'(y/x)(-y/x^2)[/tex]
    by the chain rule. Doing that again,
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}= [f'(y/x)(-y/x^2)]+ [f'(y/x)(-y/x^2)+ xf"(y/x)(-y/x^2)^2+ xf'(y/x)(2y/x^3)]+ g"(y/x)(-y/x^2)^2+ g'(y/x)(-2y/x^3)][/tex]
    Of course, that can be simplified a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?