1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's Approximation

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y'+y=3+x y(0)=1
    (a) Find approximate values of the solution of the given initial value problem at t = 0.1, 0.2,
    0.3, and 0.4 using the Euler method with h = 0.1.

2. Relevant equations
    yn+1 = yn + f(x0, y0)(x-x0). Adjusting 0 for the next number as we go up

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not looking to have the whole thing solved I'm just looking to solve the very first one and if I figure it out I can go from there.
    So I solved for y which gets me
    y= -e^-x +x +2. I checked this solution on wolfram alpha.
    y1=y0 + (-e^-x +x +2)*h= 1 +(-1+0+2)*.1=1.1. According the textbook its 1.2. It feels so close.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I think you solved the Diff Eq. and the question asked you to apply the method.
    Start with y' = 3+ x - y. I am confused by your mixing of t and x. I will assume that they are supposed to be the same variable.
    y(0) = 1, x0 = 0.
    Then y(.1) ~ y(0) + (3+x0 -y0)(.1) = 1 + (3-1)*.1 = 1.2.
    Next, use y(.1) and x(.1) in the formula to iterate to the approximation for y(.2). And on and on.

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3
    Yup, I knew whatever error I made it had to be as obvious as possible. Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted