Solve Euler's Constant Homework: Laws of Logs & Calculus Facts

• Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses using logarithms and calculus facts to prove the existence of Euler's constant and other related equations. Part (a) focuses on showing that \frac{1}{1+n} \leq \int_n^{n+1} \frac{1}{x}dx and using that to prove the existence of Euler's constant. Part (b) discusses the equation 1-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{6}+...=log2 and part (c) discusses the equation 1+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

For this problem, we will use the basic laws of logarithms and calculus facts about the natural logarithm [itex]log(x)[/itex], even though we haven't proven them in our class yet.

(a) Explain why [itex]\frac{1}{1+n} \leq \int_n^{n+1} \frac{1}{x}dx[/itex]. Then, setting [itex]T_n= \sum^n_{r=1} \frac{1}{r}-logn[/itex], show that [itex]0\leqT_{n+1}\leqT_n\leq1[/itex], for all [itex]n[/itex]. Conclude that [itex]\gamma = \lim{x\rightarrow0}T_n[/itex] exists. This constant is known as Euler's Constant. It is not even known whether \gamme is rational or not.

(b) Consider [itex]T_{2n}-T_n[/itex] and show that [itex]1-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{6}+...=log2[/itex]

(c) Consider [itex]T_{4n}-\frac{1}{2}T_{2n}-\frac{1}{2}T_n[/itex] and show that [itex]1+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{7}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{11}-\frac{1}{6}+...=\frac{3}{2}log2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I have only started the first part of a., I am still just trying to show that [itex]\frac{1}{n+1} \leq \int_n^{n+1} \frac{1}{x} dx[/itex]. Already running into trouble... Here is what I am trying but for some reason this won't work out:
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1} \leq log(\frac{n+1}{n})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1} \leq log(1+\frac{1}{n})[/tex]
[tex]ee^{\frac{1}{n}} \leq 1+ \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
Ive gone wrong but I can't see it. I know this won't hold.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going the wrong way. You don't want to do the integration to find a bound, you want to find a bound so you don't have to do the integration!

For all x between n and n+1, [tex]1/(n+1)< 1/x[/itex] so
[tex]\int_n^{n+1} 1/(n+1)dx= (1/(n+1))\int_n^{n+1}dx[/tex][tex]= 1/(n+1)< \int_n^{n+1} 1/x dx[/tex].

I can't tell if I am reading this wrong, but for part (b), [itex]T_{2n}-T_n[/itex] i get [itex]\sum^{2n}_{r=1} \frac{1}{r}-\sum^{n}_{r=1}\frac{1}{r}-log2[/itex]. I was thinking i had the summations wrong because i am definitely not ending up with [itex]1-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{6}+...=log2[/itex]

Last edited:
thanks Ivy

Can someone tell me if [itex]\sum^{2n}_{r=n} = \sum^{2n}_{r=1}-\sum^{n}_{r=1}[/itex] ? This is what I am trying to work with. I was told I need to rearrange, but I don't think I am rearranging the correct sequence of numbers. I don't see how [itex]\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n}[/itex] can turn into [itex]\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+...[/itex]

PS: this is for part (b)

What is Euler's Constant?

Euler's Constant is a mathematical constant that is denoted by the letter e. Its approximate value is 2.71828 and it is often used in logarithmic and exponential functions.

What are the laws of logs?

The laws of logs, also known as logarithmic laws, are rules that govern the manipulation of logarithmic expressions. These laws include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule.

What is the connection between Euler's Constant and the laws of logs?

Euler's Constant is closely related to the laws of logs because it is the base of the natural logarithm, also known as the logarithm to the base e. Therefore, it is often used in calculations involving logarithmic functions.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which focuses on rates of change and slopes of curves; and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas and volumes.

How is calculus used in solving problems involving Euler's Constant and the laws of logs?

Calculus is used in solving problems involving Euler's Constant and the laws of logs by providing a framework for understanding the relationships between these concepts. It allows for the calculation of derivatives and integrals, which are essential in solving logarithmic and exponential equations involving e.