1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's Equations (DiffEq)

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Part 1: Show that Euler's equation has solutions of the form [itex]x^r[/itex]. This can be found by obtaining the characteristic equation [itex] ar(r-1) + br + c = 0 [/itex]
    Part 2: Solve the following Euler equation: [itex] x^{2}y'' + xy' = 0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's Equation:
    [itex] ax^{2}y'' + bxy' + cy = 0 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part 1, I didn't have much of a problem, I let [itex] y(x) = x^{r} [/itex]. Therefore:
    [itex] y'(x) = rx^{r-1} [/itex]
    [itex] y''(x) = r(r-1)x^{r-2} [/itex]
    Substituting these values into the Euler equation:
    [itex] ax^{2}(r)(r-1)x^{r-2} + bx(r)x^{r-1} + cx^{r} = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] ax^{2}[r(r-1)x^{r-2}] + bx[rx^{r-1}] + c[x^{r}] = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] a(r^{2}-r)x^{r} + brx^{r} + cx^{r} = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] a(r^{2}-r) + br + c = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] ar(r-1) + br + c [/itex]
    This is the characteristic equation, so that portion of the problem is solved. For part 2, I am not really having a problem formatting the problem, but I am having a problem understanding the given solution. Here is what I did:
    [itex] x^{2}y'' + xy' = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] r(r-1) + r = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] r^{2} - r + r = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] r^{2} = 0 [/itex]
    So the answer has repeated roots with [itex] r = 0 [/itex]. So the solution given in the back of the book is:
    [itex] Y(x) = c_1 + c_{2}ln(x) [/itex]
    I looked around online and verified that this is indeed the answer. However, I am having some trouble understanding where the natural log came from, there is no explanation given in my book and I also can't seem to find a derivation online. Probably I am missing something obvious, but I was hoping someone could help me out and give an explanation, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I would look at the assumption you used for the derivatives.
    ##y' = x^{r-1} ##
    If r = 0, you either have the trivial solution, or something else that satisfies that assumptions.

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the advice...I was wondering, could I also try to derive that equation using reduction of order, similar to how the solution [itex] Y(x) = c_{1}e^{\frac{-bx}{2a}} + c_{2}xe^{\frac{-bx}{2a}} [/itex] is derived?

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's an argument that shows you where the ##\ln x## comes from. For simplicity I will call your differential equation ##ax^2y''+bxy'+cy = 0## as ##L(y)=0## where ##L## is the differential operator. When you substitute ##y = x^r## into that equation you got ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## where ##p(r)## is the characteristic polynomial. Now consider the case where ##r## is a double root, as you have in your problem. ##r## being a double root means that ##p(r)=0## and ##p'(r)=0##. Now let's differentiate ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## with respect to ##r##. If we differentiate the left side, since the order of taking derivatives doesn't matter we get$$
    \frac \partial {\partial r}L(x^r) = L(\frac \partial {\partial r}x^r) = L(x^r\ln x)$$If we differentiate the right side with respect to ##r## we get$$
    (x^r \ln x) p(r) + x^r p'(r) = 0$$since ##r## is a double root. So putting this together we have$$
    L(x^r\ln x) = 0$$which tells you ##x^r\ln x## is a solution of the DE in addition to ##x^r## when ##r## is a double root.

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5
    Fantastic...thank you so much for showing me that. Surprisingly, that argument is hard to find online and I was having some trouble performing it by myself..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted