How Can Euler's Identity Be Applied to Write Phasor Equations v(t) and I(t)?

In summary, to write v(t) and i(t) in terms of cosine, you can use Euler's identity and take the real part. Using the given values, we get v(t) = 20V cos (wt - 60) and i(t) = 0.5A cos (wt - 30). To find p(t), we multiply v(t) and i(t) and use the cosine identity given as a hint, where A is the argument of one cosine function and B is the argument of the other. In this case, A = wt - 60 and B = wt - 30.
teng125
for phasor, v = 20V e^(-j60) and i = 0.5A e^(-j30)
how can i write them in v(t) and I(t) ??
pls help

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Euler's identity and take only the real part.

[itex]e^{j \theta} = \cos \theta + j \sin \theta[/itex]

- Warren

i got v(t) = 20V cos (wt - 60 ) and i(t) = 0.5A cos(wt - 30)
from here,how to find p(t)??
a hint is given but i don't understand : coa A cos B = 1/2[cos(A+B) + cos(A-B)]

Power is voltage * current, yes?

Multiply your v(t) and i(t) to get p(t).

The cosine identity was given to you to help you with the simplification.

- Warren

so what is A and B?? is it -60 and -30??

A is the argument of the one cosine function; B is the argument of the other.

When you multiply two cosine functions, with arguments A and B, you can use the identity you provided to simplify.

In this case, A = wt - 60, and B = wt - 30.

- Warren

1. What is Euler's identity for phasor?

Euler's identity for phasor is a mathematical relationship that connects the trigonometric functions cosine and sine with the complex exponential function in the form e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This identity is used in the analysis of alternating current (AC) circuits in electrical engineering.

2. Why is Euler's identity important in phasor analysis?

Euler's identity is important in phasor analysis because it allows us to represent sinusoidal signals in the complex plane using a single exponential function. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze complex AC circuits.

3. How is Euler's identity derived?

Euler's identity can be derived using the Maclaurin series expansion of the complex exponential function and the Taylor series expansions of cosine and sine. By equating the real and imaginary parts of the resulting expressions, the identity can be obtained.

4. Can Euler's identity be applied to non-sinusoidal signals?

Yes, Euler's identity can be applied to any signal that can be represented as a complex exponential function, not just sinusoidal signals. This is because the identity relates the complex exponential function to cosine and sine, which are fundamental components of any periodic signal.

5. Are there any practical applications of Euler's identity for phasor?

Yes, Euler's identity has many practical applications in electrical engineering, particularly in the analysis of AC circuits. It is used to determine the amplitude, phase, and frequency of sinusoidal signals, and to solve problems related to impedance, power, and resonance in circuits.